Receptacle mounted on Panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

templdl

If you used an offset nipple, it wouldn't be attached to the panelboard in the way that the OP means.

Personally, I don't like the idea.

Since the OP was unclear about what he is refering to maybe the OP can describe how he proposes to mount the box. He has been very vague and needs t provide more detail. If he did one reply most likely would answer his question.

HackWork

Since the OP was unclear about what he is refering to maybe the OP can describe how he proposes to mount the box. He has been very vague and needs t provide more detail. If he did one reply most likely would answer his question.
I dunno, I think it's pretty clear. He wants to know if you could "mount" the box to the side of the panel board. An offset nipple doesn't provide support, as we all know.

fmtjfw

I dunno, I think it's pretty clear. He wants to know if you could "mount" the box to the side of the panel board. An offset nipple doesn't provide support, as we all know.

The offset nipple is used to match the box position to the wall!

I'd have no problem putting a 4x4 box back against the side of a panelboard, drilling a 7/8" hole for a chase nipple & two 1/4" holes for mounting screws and bolting the box to the panelboard.

GerryB

I am picturing an offset nipple to the 4" sq which is screwed to the plywood that the panel is secured to, not blowin the breeze.

HackWork

The offset nipple is used to match the box position to the wall!
Yes, I understand the purpose of an offset nipple. And if you needed to use one, then the box wouldn't be mounted to the side of the panel like the OP is talking about.

HackWork

I am picturing an offset nipple to the 4" sq which is screwed to the plywood that the panel is secured to, not blowin the breeze.

For the 4th time, if you are using an offset nipple, then you are not talking about the same thing that the OP is. The OP is talking about mounting the box to the panel, not to the plywood.

Gold

For the 4th time, if you are using an offset nipple, then you are not talking about the same thing that the OP is. The OP is talking about mounting the box to the panel, not to the plywood.

Is that what he meant by "mount a 4"square box (for a receptacle) to the side of the surface mounted Panelboard"

Would you still need screws If you used 2 chase nipples? Honestly I put doorbell transformers in a handibox on the side of panels all the time just to keep the splices out of the panel I just use a chase nipple and tighten the turds out of it.

What is this guy doing with his finger? >>
:ashamed:

fmtjfw

Reply to post #17

Reply to post #17

!/4" holes are easier to drill than 7/8" holes are to punch.

I'd punch the 7/8" hole, mount the box with the chase nipple, stick a level on the top of the box, drill through two mounting hole, do the bolts....

templdl

Ofterf all of these post we still don't know exactly wh the OP is going to mount the box.

I guess I may have missed his reference to an offset nipple and a description to the method he is going to use to mount the box.
Here's what he posted:
"Is it acceptable to mount a 4"square box (for a receptacle) to the side of the surface mounted Panelboard?"

Oh, he didn't indicate anything about an offset nipple or a means of support. It's hard to critique the installation that he is trying to describe when his description is value at best.

If he did use an offset and did not secure the box in any other way it other than the ring nuts it would be posible to simply twist the box and either ne or both of the ring nuts would losten.

iwire

Staff member
Ofterf all of these post we still don't know exactly wh the OP is going to mount the box.

I find it very clear, I don't see how there is any confusion at all give the OPs post.

Is it acceptable to mount a 4"square box (for a receptacle) to the side of the surface mounted Panelboard?

To me that says he intends the back side of the 4" square box to be screwed to the side of the panel.

If he meant mounted to the wall beside the panel I don't think he would have said mounted to the panel.

Maybe it is clear to me because I have done it many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.