Change Order Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Do you think it's justified to charge engineering time as part of a c/o? What if their argument is, what are you engineering? Which I guess is true but the engineers have to change the drawings. But I bet they come back and say that is part of your OH&P...just like the estimating time you are trying to charge for. Thanks.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
If the change order requires engineering then yes it is justified. If asked I would have a better answer then drawing changes unless the drawing changes are actually required. Depending on the scope some of our change orders are pretty simple and only require us to walk, point, and talk with the construction contractors.

mstrlucky74

Ok, so when the engineer of the electrical sub has to "add" these changes to drawings should that be a charge(engineering) in the c/o? Panel schedules have to be updated if circuits are added etc.? Do you think this should be part of OH&P?

HackWork

Ok, so when the engineer of the electrical sub has to "add" these changes to drawings should that be a charge(engineering) in the c/o? Panel schedules have to be updated if circuits are added etc.? Do you think this should be part of OH&P?
Do you have those costs put into the rate you use for changes?

Speaking from a foreman's perspective and not the company owner, I always jammed in engineering or administration time on the ticket whenever I could.

It's funny you mentioned panel schedules because one time at a mall I was working at the GC had a little hissy fit because I put a 1hr office charge on the ticket. I told him that he was the one that wanted the typed up panel schedule, our company's secretaries don't work for free :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Do you have those costs put into the rate you use for changes?

Speaking from a foreman's perspective and not the company owner, I always jammed in engineering or administration time on the ticket whenever I could.

It's funny you mentioned panel schedules because one time at a mall I was working at the GC had a little hissy fit because I put a 1hr office charge on the ticket. I told him that he was the one that wanted the typed up panel schedule, our company's secretaries don't work for free :D

I have been known to include time for the shipping clerk to repackage and send stuff back along with the purchasing agent's time to do the paper work.

Status
Not open for further replies.