2 services,one location,2 structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stew

I have a customer who had his son in law get a bit rambucntious with a tree trimming project. now have some conductors from the pole hanging . Thier are 2 services to this address. one drop hits the weatherhead at the front corner of the house for the main house service. the other drop (a separate drop and service conductor set) was attached at the front corner of the house with a knob strike. It ran back along the facia/2x6 and had at least one other knob insulator at least at one time before the gutter installers removed it. These were never reinstalled so when the tree project was done there was wire hanging already. The limbs ripped the knob off the house and also damaged the conductor at the transformer strike out 190 ft away. Its a # 1 or 1/0 al triplex drop so there is a lot of weight to support. My local inspector told me I could not reattach the 2nd set of service conductors to the house for support and then run them back to the mother in law house behind the main structure. The accident also damage and bent the mast at the mother in law house which in itself is a relativly easy repair. The contention is however about supporting these 2nd set of service conductors. I cant find anywhere in the code where it says I cant do this.

My solution to this if I cant use the house intervening as a support (he says not within 18 inches of a combustable surface? ) is either install a yard pole in between which is 2000 installed customer cost. Or construct 2 deadman supports from 2 inch rigid,attach to front and rear corners, extend the support out 18 or 20 inches,use a mast strike on the front side with a wedge clamp,mast strike on the rear with a wedge clamp,run to the mother inlaw house to a 4 bolt strike and we are golden.
Does anyone see any code issue with my solution?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see any issue with using the exterior of the house as a support for the second service providing the second service does not connect to the wiring in the first house. You are using the house as a pole so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.