customer info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

When I am asked for that type of info by people that I don't think have a need for it, I most often end the conversation, but sometimes I just make things up.

We send reciepts via email and almost everyone has a cell this info is usually easy to get and oten offered as for other info you would be surprised how much can be gleened in casual conversation. Even if you gave false info we would still send a card.

Rewire

I with some of the others, but then agian I'm not like a lot of other people either, but as soon as you ask for my cell number we're done.

You would be surprised the info a hacker could get with an name address, phone number and a birthdate or the amount of credit cards someone could apply for.

So if you called a local plumber because your toilet weas backing up and they asked for a cell number you would hang up?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We get billing address, physical address, name and alternate name if needed for whatever, email if they want emailed invoicing, all the phone #s they want to give us. Once on the job we, or at least I try to get, GPS location and POCO meter # for rural customers. The POCO needs the meter # to verify location of service we are working on. One customer may have 100. One for each pivot, well, or grain system. If you are in business long enough you learn the names of first & subsequent spouses, children and occasionally grandchildren. Some of those children may give you hugs and want picked up just because you are there. (Limited to when parent is in room during BS time) I do not keep track of birth or anniversary dates.

On the other side of the desk, AD sent me a Happy Birthday wish the first of this month. How they knew, I have no idea. I don't think I gave them the info, but maybe so. None of my other suppliers wished me a happy birthday and I have known some of them for close to 40 years.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
How much info do you collect from your customers? Do you get cell number,email,work number,home number work email etc
Cell phone full name and the full name of the property owner so permits can be pulled,and e-mail for billing.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I get a first name and phone number. I only give them my first name and the number of a prepaid cell phone that I got from Walmart and I change every couple months. In my trade we call them burners, it's not smart to keep them that long or else they may be abe to find you.

That will go a long way.....:blink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We send reciepts via email and almost everyone has a cell this info is usually easy to get and oten offered as for other info you would be surprised how much can be gleened in casual conversation. Even if you gave false info we would still send a card.
So you don't do business with people who don't have an e-mail address? The storage and use of information is one of the biggest sources for identity theft so why would I make it any easier than it alread is? There is no real need for any "brick and motar" business to have my cell number or e-mail address.

Rewire

So you don't do business with people who don't have an e-mail address? The storage and use of information is one of the biggest sources for identity theft so why would I make it any easier than it alread is? There is no real need for any "brick and motar" business to have my cell number or e-mail address.

people who don't have email probably don't have electric. Their is not a "need" for many things but email and cell phones makes communication alot easier. I do alot of business vis email and many clients prefer you call their cell rather than their work number I would trust this information to a "brick and mortar " business long before I would out it out into cyberland. Most people have a burner email that they use for this type of thing.

iwire

Staff member
we dont work by the hour we flat rate so 97% of our customers are not looking at the clock and are friendly

Flat rate or not, I want you done and out of my home.

but their is always that 3% that are not interested in small talk.I learned not to base how we operate on the 3%.

3% huh?

Yeah I am sure 97% of people have nothing better to do than give you birthdays, anniversaries, cell numbers, emails etc. :happyno:

See to me if a business is asking me for those things it is only to be used as a sales tool or to be sold off. That being the case what would be my motivation to give you all that?

I won't even give a store my zip code when they ask for it at check out.

iwire

Staff member
people who don't have email probably don't have electric.

Interesting, you don't serve older Americans?

Their is not a "need" for many things but email and cell phones makes communication alot easier. I do alot of business vis email and many clients prefer you call their cell rather than their work number I would trust this information to a "brick and mortar " business long before I would out it out into cyberland. Most people have a burner email that they use for this type of thing.

You seem to be forgetting the most important thing, I am the customer, you should be glad I called you. If I don't want to give you my email you need to find another way to bill me. You are there to serve me, not the other way around.

Rewire

Interesting, you don't serve older Americans?

You seem to be forgetting the most important thing, I am the customer, you should be glad I called you. If I don't want to give you my email you need to find another way to bill me. You are there to serve me, not the other way around.

you think older americans dont have email? I dont bill we collect on the spot we just use email as a tool to inprove service. We send apointment conformations as well as a picture of the service tech. I have never had any issue with a customer over giving us their email and if we did we would work around it .

uwireme

Another thing I ask when I get to the job is do you get mail at this address, lots of my customers live in the sticks and dont get mail at there address. We send out Christmas cards with a business card magnets in them. I get about 20 calls just after I send them around Thanksgiving. Its also nice to see our card on there frig when I go back to do another job.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Assuming I did not call from my cell phone, I would just say that I don't have one.

Yep, that's the answer. My cell phone is for my friends and family, anyone else get's my home phone, which, now that I have caller ID on my TV, I answer a lot more.

When I'm in the middle of an inspection, the last thing I need is a call from a plumber asking me if I was happy with the service.

Rewire

Many do not.

Do you think anyone without email does not have electricity?

That is what you seemed to say above.

It is exactly what I said. If you have no email you probably don't have electric or own your home or have a bank account and more than likely you have an assortment of tin foil hats.

Rewire

May I ask you where you got our name

We expanded that to "how did you get our phone #" They may have gotten our name from the neighbor which is great because word of mouth is very cheap advertising but what bI need to know is where did they get the phone number. They may have gotten a recommendation from the neighbor but did they go to the YP or web site for the phone number or maybe off one of our door hangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.