3 phase coffee maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillH50

Working in the facilities engineering group of a large hospital we often receive some interesting requests and unfortunantly it's usually after the equipment is purchased. This time it's a 3 phase 208v coffee maker and the desired location ????? is of course next to a sink.
Am I the only one that sees a problem? I can imagine that perhaps it is normal to place it near a water source since it's operation is automatic. This is probably the first of many and I'd like to get it straight this time. Appreciate any insight. Thanks, Bill

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Even though it may not seem right, there is nothing wrong with the proposed location.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . we often receive some interesting requests and unfortunantly it's usually after the equipment is purchased.
That happened to me all the time during my Navy days. :happyyes:

I agree with Roger's answer. Please note that GFCI protection is not required. If, however, you can get a GFCI breaker that works in this application, it would not be a bad idea to install one.

kwired

Electron manager
(B) Other Than Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through (5) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel:

(1)
spacer.gif
Bathrooms

(2)
spacer.gif
Kitchens

(3)
spacer.gif
Rooftops

(4)
spacer.gif
Outdoors

Exception No. 1 to (3) and (4): Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied from a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.
Exception No. 2 to (4): In industrial establishments only, where the conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified personnel are involved, an assured equipment grounding conductor program as specified in 590.6(B)(2) shall be permitted for only those receptacle outlets used to supply equipment that would create a greater hazard if power is interrupted or having a design that is not compatible with GFCI protection.

(5) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

Exception No 1 to (5): In industrial laboratories, receptacles used to supply equipment where removal of power would introduce a greater hazard shall be permitted to be installed without GFCI protection.
Exception No 2 to (5): For receptacles located in patient care areas of health care facilities other than those covered under 210.8(B)(1), GFCI protection shall not be required.

Outside of some special GFCI requirements for things like swimming pools, the general rules of 210.8 only applies to 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles.

If this same location were to have a coffee maker of 125 volt rating but did not utilize a 15 or 20 amp 125 volt receptacle it still would not require GFCI protection.

I think the risk of electric shock just simply is not as great with equipment that does not plug into 15 or 20 amp receptacles is main reason.

What is the chance of accidentally submerging the coffee maker in this instance into the sink full of water? What is the chance of the equipment grounding conductor on a "specialty" plug being compromised as compared to the chance of it on a 5-15 or 5-20 plug? What is the chance of the equipment grounding conductor being compromised on equipment that is not cord and plug connected at all?

Those conditions I just questioned, I believe are the primary reasons for GFCI protection requirements in most cases where it is required. The three phase coffee maker does not cross the lines of any of those concerns.

Yes there is still some risk of something happening but, I think statistically there have been more accidents resulting in electrocution involving equipment plugged into 5-15 and 5-20 receptacles, and people just don't tamper with the grounding pins on other plug types - and don't really have much reason to as the receptacle always has a grounding conductor slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.