Any tricks for filling sealoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We're on a job right now with probably 100+ sealoffs mostly 3/4" with a few larger up to 3". We used the combination sealoffs for everything, the kind that do both horizontal/vertical. Just wondering if you guys had any tricks to help speed up the process? I'll usually cut the top off a gatorade jug or something similar and mix inside that, then figure a way to get it poured. It'll be kind of a pain this time on the vertical sealoffs since they're the combination type though...wasn't my idea, I just install 'em and pour 'em.

I'm thinking of trying a large syringe, 35-50cc like I've used on cows with a short piece of tube on the tip if necessary to get it right where I want it?

If this stuff came premixed in caulk tubes that would be SWEET!!

For the smaller seals and the ones hard to get to , take a zip-lock bag and cut one small hole in the corner . Pinch the hole and fill the bag with mixed chico .Twist the back side and the chico would be forced out of the hole and into the seal . For the large ones stirring in a container is the best way . Personally , I just pour enough to cover all the conductors instead of filling it to the top .

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
you can use one of these. Insert 12" long 1/4" or 3/8" clear tube at the end to direct the filling into the conduit.

images.jpeg

kwired

Electron manager
For the smaller seals and the ones hard to get to , take a zip-lock bag and cut one small hole in the corner . Pinch the hole and fill the bag with mixed chico .Twist the back side and the chico would be forced out of the hole and into the seal . For the large ones stirring in a container is the best way . Personally , I just pour enough to cover all the conductors instead of filling it to the top .

You realize if we are talking required seals for hazardous locations (which I think we are) that the seal must be at least the same thickness as the trade size of the sealing fitting, but no less than 5/8 inch thick? Filling to top is usually necessary to comply with that.

You realize if we are talking required seals for hazardous locations (which I think we are) that the seal must be at least the same thickness as the trade size of the sealing fitting, but no less than 5/8 inch thick? Filling to top is usually necessary to comply with that.

For horizontal seals you are absolutely correct . I should have specified for larger " vertical " seals , I put enough chico to seal around all the conductors , but not necessary to the top .

kwired

Electron manager
For horizontal seals you are absolutely correct . I should have specified for larger " vertical " seals , I put enough chico to seal around all the conductors , but not necessary to the top .

Not necessarily to top but if you have a 1 inch trade size fitting you must fill at least 1 inch thick of sealing compound, and not just stop as soon as it has surrounded all conductors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

I used to use a Pastry Bag, like the ones they use for cake decorating. They were kind of expensive and if you don't clean the chico out right away, they were ruined. But now they have them that are like the plastic bag idea. The issue is though, you want the metal tip. When I tried the Baggies, they split open on me, made a real mess. The metal tip lets you get right down in there around the conductors.

pb.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
I used to use a Pastry Bag, like the ones they use for cake decorating. They were kind of expensive and if you don't clean the chico out right away, they were ruined. But now they have them that are like the plastic bag idea. The issue is though, you want the metal tip. When I tried the Baggies, they split open on me, made a real mess. The metal tip lets you get right down in there around the conductors.

View attachment 7625

And different tips are used for different decorating purposes:cool:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the help guys. I just started on the sealoffs today with what I had on hand. So far a Greenlee quart soap bottle with the little nozzle tip is working pretty good! I fill it about half full or so and if it starts to set up I just add a little more water and shake it up and then I'm good to go again.

The shop guy did round me up a turkey baster, some funnels, a couple of large syringes, and a rose duster to try. I've never even heard of a rose duster until now!?!? Hey, whatever works, right?::D

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
On the last job I did, we had several plugs that were hard to get to. This may be a little unconventional, but I had amazing success. I took a piece of the real thick walled clear plastic (Tygon) tubing and cut it about 3 feet long. Then I stuck it in the mixed epoxy, and sucked, like you were going to siphon. You can see exactly how far up the epoxy goes, so there is no chance of drawing it in to your mouth. Place your finger over the hose transfer to the plug hole, and you can "blow" it in to the seal off.

I discovered it by accident but I will never do it again without something similar, even for the easy to access one. There was no mess at all, and I just run water through the tubing to clean it up. I saw one suggestion for a turkey baster, and that would be one I would try maybe, it seems more "professional". The advantage to the tubing is that it can be place in the sealing plug with only a couple of inches of clearance with no mess at all.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
On the last job I did, we had several plugs that were hard to get to. This may be a little unconventional, but I had amazing success. I took a piece of the real thick walled clear plastic (Tygon) tubing and cut it about 3 feet long. Then I stuck it in the mixed epoxy, and sucked, like you were going to siphon. You can see exactly how far up the epoxy goes, so there is no chance of drawing it in to your mouth. Place your finger over the hose transfer to the plug hole, and you can "blow" it in to the seal off.

I discovered it by accident but I will never do it again without something similar, even for the easy to access one. There was no mess at all, and I just run water through the tubing to clean it up. I saw one suggestion for a turkey baster, and that would be one I would try maybe, it seems more "professional". The advantage to the tubing is that it can be place in the sealing plug with only a couple of inches of clearance with no mess at all.
I dunno, that kinda sucks... :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's actually a great idea, but I don't want to know what kind of "accident" lead to that discovery.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I'm not doing anything that involves sucking on a job site with the guys I work with. I will never hear the end of it.

All kidding aside, it is a little hillbilly, but again not any different than siphoning gas. OTOH, you could take the idea aind build on it. For example, get a big syringe and attach the hose to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.