baseboard heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Any reason NOT to feed a single 240 volt 500 watt (2.1 amps) baseboard heater off of a DP 15 amp breaker using 14 guage wire?

Just asking because for reasons yet unknown (maybe you'll enlighten me) I have always run BB heaters using 12 guage.

How about because you don't have any 14 AWG with you at the time:)

Sorry, best I could come up with.

dhalleron

12 gauge will help you to overcome voltage drop on a long run. Lose less heat in the cable and save if for the heater where it's actually needed.

500 watt heater? Really? What can that heat? A small closet?

kwired

Electron manager
12 gauge will help you to overcome voltage drop on a long run. Lose less heat in the cable and save if for the heater where it's actually needed.

500 watt heater? Really? What can that heat? A small closet?

As supplemental heat it is plenty for a small room. As long as you are gaining heat faster than you are losing it any heater is going to work. An oversized heater usually results in big temperature swings between on and off cycling where one sized closer to actual heating demand results in more constant temperatures.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
# 14 should be plenty, 2pole for a 500 w heater a bit over kill. Can it share a circuit with something else.

kwired

Electron manager
# 14 should be plenty, 2pole for a 500 w heater a bit over kill. Can it share a circuit with something else.

If we are talking about dwellings and installation in a room where AFCI is required the 240 volt heater will cost less to install than a 120 volt heater, as it will not require AFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.