Closet Lights NEC 410.16(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Does the NEC allow track lighting in walk-in closets if the lamps are LED or CFLs.
Not if the bulbs are not enclosed because someone can add an incandescent later. Track is a terrible closet light, IMO. Although unclear I believe the intent is to not allow track lighting in closets.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
According to the definition of "track lighting" and by reading 410.16 I would say track lighting is not allowed in the closet.

410.16 does not list track lighting as a permitted luminaire.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
According to the definition of "track lighting" and by reading 410.16 I would say track lighting is not allowed in the closet.

410.16 does not list track lighting as a permitted luminaire.

I tend to agree as I stated above but someone could argue that a track light is a surface mounted fixture

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I always like a good argument! :happyyes:

Me like good debate. :D

How can you be sure that the track fixtures that are installed on the track will have enclosed bulb? Now that I am thinking about it, do they even make a track head that has enclosed bulbs???:?:?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does the NEC allow track lighting in walk-in closets if the lamps are LED or CFLs.

Interesting question since my bedroom closet just has a porcelain fixture with a bare bulb.

I don't see any wiggle room unless you can find a track lighting fixture with a totally enclosed bulb.

renosteinke

The 'tracks' in 'track lighting' are not any type of luminaire - just a means of getting power to the luminaire.

About the only 'variable' that might enter the discussion is: what if part of the track itself is too close to the clothes?

As for the CFL issue, the NEC never said they didn't count as making the fixture fluorescent. That's only an interpretation by the IAEI and a specification in some energy codes. With the "banning" of the ordinary light bulb, it's worth revisiting the issue. It's bad enough when something 'might' happen, but even worse when the 'maybe' has already been legislated out of existance.

Listed for use in closets? Please, spare me. Next thing we'll be expecting to see little booklets with the fixtures, telling us specifically what rooms you can use them in. Gee, the booklet says "breakfast nook" and "living room," but doesn't say anything about the 'dining room' or the 'family room.' What am I to do?

kwired

Electron manager
As for the CFL issue, the NEC never said they didn't count as making the fixture fluorescent. That's only an interpretation by the IAEI and a specification in some energy codes. With the "banning" of the ordinary light bulb, it's worth revisiting the issue. It's bad enough when something 'might' happen, but even worse when the 'maybe' has already been legislated out of existance.

I think it also depends on the design of the CFL. A luminaire that also accepts popular incandescent lamps most will agree is not allowed to be used with CFL's installed where the incandescent lamp is not otherwise allowed.

There are luminaires that are designed to only work with specific types of CFL's and no other lamp.

I have become particularly fond of using these in recent years in clothes closets.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
And correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe I seen a florescent inside a A-19 to make it look like a normal lamp, now would that count as totally enclosed?
A cfl that utilizes a standard socket is not acceptable because someone could and will change the bulb to am incandescent.

TimK

No thanks, as I said before it is not a good light. :D

Does this mean I'm fired?:lol: By no means would i ever try to put a track light in a closet, I did have a customer one time ask for a chandelier, yes closet was that big. Sorry, exposed lamps, it wouldn,t be prudent:happyno:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Does this mean I'm fired?:lol: By no means would i ever try to put a track light in a closet, I did have a customer one time ask for a chandelier, yes closet was that big. Sorry, exposed lamps, it wouldn,t be prudent:happyno:

We had the same think. A 15x20 walk-in closet but the perimeter walls had all the clothing in built in cabinets- no exposed clothing. They had a dressing table in the middle and wanted a chandelier. I talked with the inspector and he said to get the architect to change the name on the plan to dressing room and he would be okay since it technically was not a closet.

TimK

Big Closet

Big Closet

Well, mine had a "shoe island?" in the middle, but we had places to stack clothes and i did not want to risk a rich persons' laziness, to see if they could get richer.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
..... ..... the inspector and he said to get the architect to change the name on the plan to dressing room and he would be okay since it technically was not a closet.

Now aside from lighting, does the dressing room have to have receptacles placement according to 210.52.
Did you have receptacles installed in the dressing room?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Now aside from lighting, does the dressing room have to have receptacles placement according to 210.52.
Did you have receptacles installed in the dressing room?
No as it is not a living area required by 210.52, imo. I may have had one or two but I can't remember

Status
Not open for further replies.