Two services to a building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for some input about installing a second service to an existing building> The situation is this< there is an existing 400 amp 120/208 3phase service which supplies and existing restaraunt in a small strip building (3 stores). The service enters the building overhead. The restaraunt uses the entire 400 amp service. The owner now wants to bring an additonal 600 amp (underground) service to feed the other 2 spaces . the service will be at the same location as the overhead. He claims the utility company gave him permission....am i walking into a nest of bees?

TimK

I do believe I would confirm with the utility to make sure, but to have more than one meter on a strip mall type building is pretty commen.

kwired

Electron manager
Depending on type of construction, each occupancy can possibly be considered separate buildings and if so each can have its own individual service.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with what is proposed in the OP.

Technically the OP is not adding another service, when all is done he still will have one service with two disconnecting means, he is allowed up to six disconnecting means.

TimK

The owner now wants to bring an additonal 600 amp (underground) service to feed the other 2 spaces . the service will be at the same location as the overhead. He claims the utility company gave him permission....am i walking into a nest of bees?[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me it would be an entirely new service with meter socket, should be cheaper than taking out existing metering and placing one with CT.

kwired

Electron manager
The owner now wants to bring an additonal 600 amp (underground) service to feed the other 2 spaces . the service will be at the same location as the overhead. He claims the utility company gave him permission....am i walking into a nest of bees?

Sounds to me it would be an entirely new service with meter socket, should be cheaper than taking out existing metering and placing one with CT.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I missed the fact that the additional capacity was being added via underground. That does change things some. I honestly have never been in such a situation where it would be desirable to not supply everything from underground in that type of instance - even if keeping the original 400 amp disconnect intact.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So would he need to check with building planning and see if it is listed for multiple occupancies? Or AHJ to see if it was allowed (special conditions)?
In most cases it is probably not an issue but building construction can come into play here also.

TimK

YELLOW?

YELLOW?

By the way, I apologize for the yellow, I did not realize it was so hard to read. I will go darker from now on.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.