Support of Fluorescent Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is from a new member named Frank Rogers-- apparently he was having trouble starting a thread. Have at it.

I hope I am doing this right. How are you supposed to support light fixtures(2x4) fluorescents in a commercial building? We have always shot ramset stud to pandecking and used ceiling rated tie wire an inspector today said not allowed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this for seismic protection? We just fasten them to the grid with the appropriate clip.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Is this for seismic protection? We just fasten them to the grid with the appropriate clip.

I've rarely seen an AHJ that excepts the NEC support requiremnts, rather the bldg. code usually has more stingent requirements. I'm not sure why the OP method is not suitable as it sounds like it is beyond the NEC.
Although I must agree, there some that allow the way you do it, directly to the grid.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would like to know what is not allowed? Is the ramset the issue? We usually use the same wire that the ceiling grid is installed with and spray it orange. It is run independently of the ceiling grid to 2 (opposite )corners of the fixture.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I believe it will be a local requirement.

Most of the local jurisdictions require the fixtures to be attached to the grid, in addition use #12 gauge steel wire to support 2 opposite corners to the structure.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
This is from a new member named Frank Rogers-- apparently he was having trouble starting a thread. Have at it.

These two articles relate to your post.

410.36 Means of Support.
(A) Outlet Boxes. Outlet boxes or fittings installed as required by 314.23 and complying with the provisions of 314.27(A)(1) and 314.27(A)(A)(2) shall be permitted to support luminaires.

(B) Suspended Ceilings. Framing members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Listed clips identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.

What you are doing by adding the individual support wires as in 300.11 is required in some locations, and are required to be a different a color.

300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids.

drspec

I always support with ceiling tie wire on opposite corners and flag it with red tape. Use the clips on the lay ins and screw to grid.
Use ramset or find another attachment point.

Did he have a problem with how you wrapped the tie wire for support or did he not give you a reason?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I always support with ceiling tie wire on opposite corners and flag it with red tape. Use the clips on the lay ins and screw to grid.
Use ramset or find another attachment point......
That ought to hold it. Wouldn't hurt to run a bead of PL 400 before you lay the fixture in just to be sure.

No tornadoes, no hurricanes, no earthquakes where I live so clips that come on the fixture are all that is needed here.

kwired

Electron manager
These two articles relate to your post.

410.36 Means of Support.
(A) Outlet Boxes. Outlet boxes or fittings installed as required by 314.23 and complying with the provisions of 314.27(A)(1) and 314.27(A)(A)(2) shall be permitted to support luminaires.

(B) Suspended Ceilings. Framing members of suspended ceiling systems used to support luminaires shall be securely fastened to each other and shall be securely attached to the building structure at appropriate intervals. Luminaires shall be securely fastened to the ceiling framing member by mechanical means such as bolts, screws, or rivets. Listed clips identified for use with the type of ceiling framing member(s) and luminaire(s) shall also be permitted.

What you are doing by adding the individual support wires as in 300.11 is required in some locations, and are required to be a different a color.

300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes, cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place. Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not be permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated fittings that provide secure support and that are installed in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be permitted as the sole support. Where independent support wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids.

Those are the sections. Without additional amendments or other codes coming into play, The NEC only requires them to be fastened to the grid and the grid to be supported at appropriate intervals. Wiring methods must be supported by their own dedicated tie wires, and marking of those ties helps to identify/separate them from the grid support wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.