Grounding Conductor Largest Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimK

Would a parallel run within the same conduit be the only time the grounding conductor is the largest conductor? Excluding specs and special engineering of course.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Would a parallel run within the same conduit be the only time the grounding conductor is the largest conductor? Excluding specs and special engineering of course.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your question but I can't see even in a single conduit parallel instalation where the EGC would be larger than the ungrounded conductors.

For simplicity take two 500KCMIL's and protect them with an 800 amp breaker, the EGC would only be required to be a 1/0

Roger

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The grounding conductor is never required to be larger than its associated ungrounded conductor is it? If you're trying to use one grounding conductor instead of 2 parallel ones, then it could be the largest one.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you're trying to use one grounding conductor instead of 2 parallel ones, then it could be the largest one.
Mark, can you give an example of where that might be the case?

Roger

TimK

Well, not that it is done often with smaller wires, but instead of 3/0 copper, we run parallel #3's to the service, now if I install them in the same conduit wouldn't my grounding conductor need to be #2?

I guess I am thinking more of grounding and not equipment grounding.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
BTW, in post #2 the two 500's could not be protected @ 800 amps but it wouldn't change the EGC from being smaller than the ungrounded conductors.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, not that it is done often with smaller wires, but instead of 3/0 copper, we run parallel #3's to the service, now if I install them in the same conduit wouldn't my grounding conductor need to be #2?

I guess I am thinking more of grounding and not equipment grounding.
As Travish points out, you can not parallel conductors (excluding some exceptions) smaller than 1/0

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I played with some numbers and don't think it could happen. The smallest you can parallel is 1/0 and as you increase the number of conductors in the conduit, the ampacity is lower (by derating ) to a point the EGC is still smaller.

eprice

Well, let me do some reading then, maybe I am thinking of grounded, or am i chasing my tail on that one also?:ashamed:

Maybe it is parallel runs in parallel conduits that you are thinking of? For example, 7 parallel 1/0 runs in 7 conduits, protected by a 1000 amp breaker would require a 2/0 equipment ground in each conduit.

TimK

250.122(F)

250.122(F)

Maybe it is parallel runs in parallel conduits that you are thinking of? For example, 7 parallel 1/0 runs in 7 conduits, protected by a 1000 amp breaker would require a 2/0 equipment ground in each conduit.

You are correct, thats where i read that. I couldn't grasp my head around why we would need such a large EGC, when everything else was smaller, and we were allowed to bond the ground coming out of the conduit with it's own bond bushing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I used to think that an egc could be larger than the conductors in a parallel run and I even wrote a proposal about it. The comment was the egc never has to be larger than the CCC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I could agree, and I know it does not say "accumulative" but I always took that as the total cross sectional.

The conductors in each conduit is being protected for ground fault. If the EGC is the same size as the CCC then it will have the protection for those conductors. That is how I see it.

TimK

The conductors in each conduit is being protected for ground fault. If the EGC is the same size as the CCC then it will have the protection for those conductors. That is how I see it.

I took it to mean that if you "lost" a parallel run, or two (treancher crossing pipes?) that one single EGC needed to be capable of working the OCPD. In my head, that was for the additional amperage that could be sent on the other parallel conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.