what i learned "T" fittings and solid wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I carry both, there are certainly many applications where the slightly less expinsive solid wire is gold.

Stevareno

I like solid wire. It's easier to make panels look nice and neat, and it makes for easier pushing on the feed end of a wire pull.

One negative for stranded wire is the 'stinger' (stray strand that comes down out of the wirenut).

Oh, and I learned long ago anytime you have conduit fittings, use stranded wire.

I used to work for an employer that insisted we use solid wire because it was cheaper, no matter the situation. He was a bean counter and didn't realize that the cost of using stranded wire in some situations would be offset by the savings in labor.

Stevareno

Alot of commercial jobs have stranded speced for 10 and above.

In my experience, just because it is spec'ed that way doesn't mean that is what gets installed.

For instance, I've worked on interior remodels for a major cell phone company.
Let's just say, if you try and bid the job as per the specs on the blueprints, you won't be getting the job.

norcal

Alot of commercial jobs have stranded speced for 10 and above.

Above 10 AWG it's pretty much stranded only.

From the 2011 NEC, 310.106(C).

(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.

220/221

Above 10 AWG it's pretty much stranded only.

From the 2011 NEC, 310.106(C).

(C) Stranded Conductors. Where installed in raceways,
conductors 8 AWG and larger, not specifically permitted or
required elsewhere in this Code to be solid, shall be
stranded.

They should change that #8 to #10. 10 stranded is feaking silly.

Smaller than #10, both types have there place. I wouldn't use one exclusively.

Stranded is tough to push in conduit and install under screw terminals. Solid wire it tougher to pull in existing conduit, long distance with a lot of bends and to tuck into condulets.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They should change that #8 to #10. 10 stranded is feaking silly.

For us many of the jobs that we've done in the past few years have had a spec that required all #10 and smaller conductors to be solid. Try to pull that in when they have value engineered the job with 16 solid-#10's in a 1" EMT.

wirebender

For us many of the jobs that we've done in the past few years have had a spec that required all #10 and smaller conductors to be solid. Try to pull that in when they have value engineered the job with 16 solid-#10's in a 1" EMT.

Just finished one with the same spec. Had quite a bit pulled in stranded when the engineer came by and said no. ruh roh.
Obviously they have never had to work with 10 solid.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just finished one with the same spec. Had quite a bit pulled in stranded when the engineer came by and said no. ruh roh.
Obviously they have never had to work with 10 solid.

We had one job where they had to pull out 4 floors worth of #10 lighting home-runs that were originally installed with stranded conductors. Lutron is famous for that spec in some of their lighting systems.

John120/240

We had one job where they had to pull out 4 floors worth of #10 lighting home-runs that were originally installed with stranded conductors. Lutron is famous for that spec in some of their lighting systems.

What possibly could be there reasoning to require #10 solid ? What detrimental effect would it

have on the performance of there lighting products ?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
.... Lutron is famous for that spec in some of their lighting systems.
Curse them to the deepest corner of the dark realm ruled by Lucifer then.

The only roll of 10 solid you can find anywhere around our shop is one roll with green insulation. The last time I remember anybody using it was to help fish a piece of MC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What possibly could be there reasoning to require #10 solid ? What detrimental effect would it

have on the performance of there lighting products ?

I wish that I knew. All I know is that I saw miles of stranded conductors getting pulled out and sold for scrap. Maybe someone knows the reason for this.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm with everyone else on solid wire above #12 or maybe #10. Also, mixed feelings on pulling in conduit vs terminating under screws.

What I would like to know is how you put stranded wire in an Ideal push-in or Wago connector. There specs list the allowed wire sizes in both solid and stranded.
I used to "tin" the wires in control circuits to use on "wago" type connectors. These connectors were French made and were around long before Ideal's or Wagos.
I thought about tinning for these connectors (Wagos/Ideal) until someone pointed out the risk for corrosion, although I've seen tinned wires that I did that were at least 15 yrs old with no corrosion.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but it is solid/stranded connected,:) no pun intended!

Status
Not open for further replies.