MC cable in wet location 10-22-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

lj4321

Can MC be installed in a building that currently does not have a roof installed to keep the MC from getting wet, but when construction is complete will be a dry location? The MC will not be energized until the building is completely dry.

raider1

Staff member
Look at the definition of "Location, Dry" in Article 100.

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness
or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily
subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a
building under construction.

So the answer is yes.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager

So the answer is yes.

Chris

Excellent answer.

There are guys that think that if you have the cable in back of truck and it even lightly sprinkles on it on the way to jobsite that it is not any good anymore.

I will be happy to dispose if it for those people that feel this way:happyyes:

raider1

Staff member
Excellent answer.

There are guys that think that if you have the cable in back of truck and it even lightly sprinkles on it on the way to jobsite that it is not any good anymore.

I know of an inspector in Idaho who feels the same way and will spray paint rolls of NM cable if he sees them in the back of a truck. If he sees spray painted NM cable installed in a building he will make the electrician tear it out.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
I know of an inspector in Idaho who feels the same way and will spray paint rolls of NM cable if he sees them in the back of a truck. If he sees spray painted NM cable installed in a building he will make the electrician tear it out.

Chris

How close does he look? I have aluminum spray paint:cool:

If I catch him painting anything in my truck I will try to have him prosecuted for trespassing, destruction of property, and anything else that may come up along the way, but he can still write me up for the installation of that cable.

Last edited:

jusme123

Occupation
JW

Chris

...you spray it, you own it. He is overstepping his authority.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Excellent answer.

I don't have any problem with an AHJ who doesn't allow MC installation in a building that is not dried in, and it is typical in several jurisdictions I have worked in. Do you take the sma position with NM cable? I have seen NM cable that got wet and it never dries. the paper wicks water and then over time molds, but never dries out. I don't know if MC stays wet forever, but I have seen it wet for months after being in a dry environment.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't have any problem with an AHJ who doesn't allow MC installation in a building that is not dried in, and it is typical in several jurisdictions I have worked in. Do you take the sma position with NM cable? I have seen NM cable that got wet and it never dries. the paper wicks water and then over time molds, but never dries out. I don't know if MC stays wet forever, but I have seen it wet for months after being in a dry environment.

Unless it is submerged in water just how much is going to get in?. MC with a spiral outer jacket has nothing inside that is absorbent and is not going to hold any significant amount of water - it will run out of the spiral if there is any significant amount. Every piece of NM cable only has two entry points - at each cut end, unless it is submerged in water not that much is getting in. Just bringing the cable inside from the cold can draw moisture in from condensation effects. The same paper that wicks moisture in can wick it out also.

As far as mold - if the cable has absorbed a lot of water - then the wood framing probably has also, so you also have more serious mold problems there if you don't make sure it has dried out before covering it up.

Stevareno

I don't have any problem with an AHJ who doesn't allow MC installation in a building that is not dried in, and it is typical in several jurisdictions I have worked in.

Yep, that is how it is around here.

GC's are always wanting to GO, GO, GO, and I never liked installing a system subject to conditions for which it is not normally rated. Good on the AHJ.

iwire

Staff member

So the answer is yes.

Chris

But we also have this

110.11 Deteriorating Agents. Unless identified for use in
the operating environment, no conductors or equipment
shall be located in damp or wet locations; where exposed to
gases, fumes, vapors, liquids, or other agents that have a
deteriorating effect on the conductors or equipment; or
where exposed to excessive temperatures.
Informational Note No. 1: See 300.6 for protection against
corrosion.

Equipment not identified for outdoor use and equipment
identified only for indoor use, such as ?dry locations,? ?indoor
use only,? ?damp locations,? or enclosure Types 1, 2,
5, 12, 12K, and/or 13, shall be protected against damage
from the weather during construction.

Seems like enough for different enforcement from area to area. :(

kwired

Electron manager
But we also have this

Seems like enough for different enforcement from area to area. :(

Just how deteriorating is water to MC cable or even NM cable? Dry it out and you have what you started with. Of course in some cities the PH level of the rain is not anywhere near neutral:happyyes:

iwire

Staff member
Just how deteriorating is water to MC cable or even NM cable? Dry it out and you have what you started with. Of course in some cities the PH level of the rain is not anywhere near neutral:happyyes:

You are preaching to the choir but I think that is really a call that is within the AHJs authority much more so than the contractors.

Most will let us pull MC once some sort of roof is up, often that is just leaky decking and no walls. Others will not let us start until it is weather tight.

kwired

Electron manager
You are preaching to the choir but I think that is really a call that is within the AHJs authority much more so than the contractors.

Most will let us pull MC once some sort of roof is up, often that is just leaky decking and no walls. Others will not let us start until it is weather tight.

True. But it makes more sense to want to see a panelboard with a NEMA 1 cabinet to be protected from the elements than a piece of NM cable that only has the cross sectional area on each end being the only point of entry for the elements. Point those two ends downward and they will not even have any significant amount of moisture ever enter the cable most of the time.

Most of time building is closed in before I do any wiring, occasionally there may be limited wiring installed before it is closed in though. But often when that happens it is raceways and not cable methods that are being installed at that stage.

I have many times put service in the basement of a new home before they even have the first floor decking installed, and all the temp construction power is supplied by the permanent service equipment. I just have to find a temporary way of weatherizing the service until the building has significant protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.