Arc Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I overheard someone saying the other day that they used MC Cable to wire a house with and the Inspector waived the requirement of the Arc Fault Breakers.

Have you ever heard of this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nope. Code only allows the mc to the first outlet without an AFCI breaker but then you must use an afci receptacle for the rest of the circuit. These receptacles are just about to make it to the market.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I still don't see any savings or other benefit of having the first receptacle AFCI protected. Unless it is an old breaker box that AFCI circuit breakers are not available.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I still don't see any savings or other benefit of having the first receptacle AFCI protected. Unless it is an old breaker box that AFCI circuit breakers are not available.

I agree......an arc fault breaker is about $25.00. I don't know what the arc fault receptacle sells for but I'm sure they are at least $15.00 each and then you add the cost of the MC vs NM-B and it doesn't sound like it would be worth the trouble.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I agree......an arc fault breaker is about $25.00. I don't know what the arc fault receptacle sells for but I'm sure they are at least $15.00 each and then you add the cost of the MC vs NM-B and it doesn't sound like it would be worth the trouble.

That's a good price. Mine run from $38 to $51, depending on brand & where I buy. Granted I don't buy very many at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.