Why Twistlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

So I did a bunch of generator hook ups after the two previous storms last year, and of course, people are calling again. But you have to help your customers, so when an older guy called whose transfer switch I did and he couldn't start his generator, I stopped over. (His battery start wasn't working and he was pulling the rope without turning on the switch). That was before the storm, but today another customer called and said the lights worked, then went dim, then stopped. The sump pump wouldn't work, the fridge light was dim, water pump didn't work, freezer did work. This was through the generator. I had installed a power inlet box for him outside by the generator. I have been wiring these with 10-3 romex, maybe not a good idea since you really have to crank down on the screws. It sounded like a loose neutral to me, maybe slipped out pushing the inlet into the box, so I was a little worried. I get there and he tells me he thinks it's ok and that he pushed on the cord and it's working. So it was, I checked the inlet box wiring to be sure and it was good and tight. So to get to my point. Why do they have to make these twistlock? It seems these factory cords need to be pushed in quite hard and they barely twist at all. Seems the older ones had a more significant twist to them. Is it just me?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Any Twistlock we have ever used was for a ceiling mounted receptacle and a rubber cord drop.

Cavie

Twist locks are used on portible equipment so nobody has to tie a not in the cord to keep the cord caps from falling apart. Same thing for heavy duty extention cords. Better for refridgerated equipment also. Saves $$$$$ on accedential disconects.

Status
Not open for further replies.