Bonding Gas Line from a Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

An Auto Lube Shop has several Gas Meters attached to it which feed their Building and also goes from the Load side of two Meters, under the pavement to another Building across the lot. The Gas Lines are stubbed up at the other building with shutoff valves which then enter the Building with Rigid Pipe. Inside the building they are connected to copper line where they run up to Rooftop Units. I can't see where they would have bonded the Gas Line to Ground, but if the lines go through the ground, is there a problem with bonding the lines where they enter the Building?? ...I know the Gas Company does not want their pipes on the supply side of the meter to be Bonded... would the same issue arise under the circumstances the second Building is set up??

powerplay

Te gas lines are nonded with the EGC for the circuit to the rooftop unit. Look at 250.104(B)

I have an confession... I'm Canadian eh !

I've always enjoyed the forums although not the same references because i hadn't found such an active Canadian forum with interesting discussions. The last Electrical Code Review meeting recently for the 2012 CEC, they mentioned the NEC is being adopted more to make things more Universal...

...so I am guessing there is a code in the NEC that requires the Rooftops to be Bonded at the equipment? Is ther any issues with having them bonded at the source coming into the building under the circumstances I mentioned?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an confession... I'm Canadian eh !

I've always enjoyed the forums although not the same references because i hadn't found such an active Canadian forum with interesting discussions. The last Electrical Code Review meeting recently for the 2012 CEC, they mentioned the NEC is being adopted more to make things more Universal...

...so I am guessing there is a code in the NEC that requires the Rooftops to be Bonded at the equipment? Is ther any issues with having them bonded at the source coming into the building under the circumstances I mentioned?
Not at all you could bond at the source and if the CEC does not accept the egc, then that would be required. In the US if there was that CSST gas pipe (aka yellow stuff) then we would have to bond at the source with a #6 or larger.

powerplay

Not at all you could bond at the source and if the CEC does not accept the egc, then that would be required. In the US if there was that CSST gas pipe (aka yellow stuff) then we would have to bond at the source with a #6 or larger.

CSST must be the flexible yellow gasline? CEC also requires bonding water and gas lines with minimum #6...makes me wonder if they lose the neutral, wouldn't the gasline in the earth or waterline begin carrying current...? I think thats why the gas authority doesn't want the supply side of the gas meter to be bonded...or perhaps some cathodic corrosion?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
CSST must be the flexible yellow gasline? CEC also requires bonding water and gas lines with minimum #6...makes me wonder if they lose the neutral, wouldn't the gasline in the earth or waterline begin carrying current...? I think thats why the gas authority doesn't want the supply side of the gas meter to be bonded...or perhaps some cathodic corrosion?

Csst has been know to split when there are lighting strikes at the building. The thin jacket rips and creates a torch and has been down many homes. The supposed fix is to bond it. We are not certain that will solve the issue so I would never have it at my house.

The gas company does not want the gas line to be used as a Grounding Electrode conductor. This would be the case if it is bonded on the line side. I am not certain why but it may be something to consider because the black iron in the ground is an electrode so a dielectric fitting may be advised at the structure where the gas enters the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.