Transformer Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomrk

I have a client that wants me to place 4 step-down transformers in a mezzanine that is outside the room they are feeding. The problem is the location where he wants me to place them has very large HVAC ductwork running across the entire ceiling at about a 5 foot level. I see in the NEC that you have to have clear working spaces for disconnects, panels, and switchboards, but what about transformers? Can I place the transformers there? Do I need to install a drip shield over them? By the way the ductwork is over 10 feet in depth, so the transformers could not be placed anywhere in the room where the ducts would not pass over them or be in the path of travel for heavy equipment.

raider1

Staff member
110.26(E) would not apply to transformers. Only switchboards, panelboards and motor control centers are required to be located in dedicated equipment space.

As for working space requires by 110.26(A) IMHO a transformer is not likely to be examined, adjusted, serviced or maintained while energized so I would not apply 110.26(A) to a transformer. 450.13 (B) permits 50 kva or smaller 600 volt transformers to be located in drop ceilings where it would be almost impossible to maintain the working space clearances required in 110.26(A).

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.