Listing and Labeling Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

al

The State of Minnesota requires all electrical material (with few exceptions) to be listed and labeled. The reference is:

3801.3620 APPROVAL OF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT.
Subpart 1. National standards. Except as otherwise provided in subpart 2 or 3, as a condition for approval
under Minnesota Statutes, section 326.243, and Section 110-2 of the National Electrical Code, all electrical
equipment, including material, fittings, devices, apparatus, fixtures, appliances, and utilization equipment, used
as part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation shall be listed and labeled by a testing laboratory.

My question is for those of you in other states,
have you seen the same requirement?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC, as Mike stated, is also a state that requires all equipment to be UL listed. If it isn't listed then it will cost a few to many thousand dollars to get a third party testing guy to come in and hopefully accept it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here is NC's rule.

? 66‑25. Acceptable listings as to safety of goods.
All electrical materials, devices, appliances, and equipment shall be evaluated for safety and suitability for intended use. This evaluation shall be conducted in accordance with nationally recognized standards and shall be conducted by a qualified testing laboratory. The Commissioner of Insurance, through the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance, shall implement the procedures necessary to approve suitable national standards and to approve suitable qualified testing laboratories. The Commissioner may assign his authority to implement the procedures for specific materials, devices, appliances, or equipment to other agencies or bodies when they would be uniquely qualified to implement those procedures.
In the event that the Commissioner determines that electrical materials, devices, appliances, or equipment in question cannot be adequately evaluated through the use of approved national standards or by approved qualified testing laboratories, the Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall specify any alternative evaluations which safety requires.
The Engineering Division of the Department of Insurance shall keep in file, where practical, copies of all approved national standards and resumes of approved qualified testing laboratories. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1933, c. 555, s. 3; 1989, c. 681, s. 1.)[/FONT]

Roger

al

NRTL's & Noth Carolina

NRTL's & Noth Carolina

Roger,

Does North Carolina accept the OSHA list of NRTL'S?

Al

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
The State of Minnesota requires all electrical material (with few exceptions) to be listed and labeled. ...My question is for those of you in other states, have you seen the same requirement?

TN requires NRTL listing.

AK requires listing for all residential equipment. Not necessarily for industrial. For industrial, the law only requires that which the NEC requires to be listed.

so you can't use stuff that is conencted to an elelctrical system that is not listed? What do you do for stuff that just is not available listed?

Good question. Several of my clients take service at 34.5Kv, 69Kv. and one even at 138KV, Distribution is generally 13.8kv. Generally all has to go in per the NEC, not the NESC. This equipment is generally ANSI spec. If the state had demanded listed equipment, it would have added $100K's to $1M's to the project costs. Anybody want to explain how the added costs would improve safety, reliability, or reduce property loss?

NC, as Mike stated, is also a state that requires all equipment to be UL listed. If it isn't listed then it will cost a few to many thousand dollars to get a third party testing guy to come in and hopefully accept it.

Yes, this is the logical extension of a state law with no exceptions. And that is truly mindless. And yet strangely, I am in favor of these types of laws.

Think about it:
With any luck, the states will uphold these laws to the exact letter and allow no exceptions. Hopefully this will drive up project costs beyond acceptable limits. Should help drive out any industry. Since I work in areas where the voters elect legislators that aren't that stupid, that will mean more money for me.

ice

Status
Not open for further replies.