magnetic bit holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am tired of cheap magnetic bit holders.
Anyone has recommendation for good quality magnetic bit holder?

Thanks.

templdl

I am tired of cheap magnetic bit holders.
Anyone has recommendation for good quality magnetic bit holder?

Thanks.

Since you did not include a picture I am assuming it is a bit holder that you chuck into the driver and the actual it is held into place with a magnet in the bit holder.

I don't like those either. I opt for a bit holder that also uses a retaining ring on the inside of the bit holder that grabs onto that slot towrd the end of the actual bit. The bit is a bit harder to remove but it simply doesn'r rely on the magnetics.
I believe that mine are made by irwin.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Use an impact. I switched from running screws in with a drill to an impact 3-4 years ago, one of the best tool decisions I've made.

Same story when I switched from a sawzall to a metal circular saw, the sawzall rarely gets used anymore.

templdl

Use an impact. I switched from running screws in with a drill to an impact 3-4 years ago, one of the best tool decisions I've made.

Same story when I switched from a sawzall to a metal circular saw, the sawzall rarely gets used anymore.

I've never owned and impact but I did use one that another guy had I believe that it was a panasonic. What type do you have?

marti smith

Plain ole Dewalt is great. It's not for plaster, though, nor is it quiet, but you won't lose hardware or your tips. I did not readily accept the impact driver at first, but I'll probably never go back. The ID has put the drill in it's corner, to be used for, well- drilling.

PetrosA

I have a Hilti 14.4V impact driver that i really like. It fits into most 2x4 bays, and into the ceiling through the hole for a 4" recessed can (for drilling through bays with stubby bits and extensions).

I've also used Makita impact drivers which have good power, and a light that stays on for 10-15 seconds after you release the trigger - a nice feature when working in dark areas. I've used a few DeWalts and they are powerful, but quite a bit heavier and larger than some of the other ones I've used. I think their newer ones are more compact. Another important thing to check is variable speed control in the trigger and/or multiple speed settings. I can get a lot more control over my Hilti, which has variable speed plus a Hi and Lo setting for max speed than I could get over some of the other impact drivers I've tried. It will make the difference between being able to use your impact driver on devices or not :)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've never owned and impact but I did use one that another guy had I believe that it was a panasonic. What type do you have?

Dewalt 18v. You gotta watch the new guys though, they don't realize the torque of these things and will strip/overtighten screws. I sheared a 1/4" lag once....

jeremysterling

I don't like those either. I opt for a bit holder that also uses a retaining ring on the inside of the bit holder that grabs onto that slot towrd the end of the actual bit. The bit is a bit harder to remove but it simply doesn't rely on the magnetics.
I believe that mine are made by irwin.

I'm also not liking the straight magnetic bit holders.

I tried the irwin bit holder and they last a couple of months or less before they lose their retaining ring and the bit falls out.

I switched to the DeWalt "Rapid Load" DW2505 bit holder. It is similar to the irwin in that it will also break with constant use. However, when the DeWalt retaining clip jams, there is a weak magnet that will prevent immediate ejection of the bit.

The bit holder in the amazon link looks like good manufacture. That may be the way to go. I hope to see more suggestions in this thread.

I'm not sure, but I heard the new dewalt impacts have a chuck that will hold the standard 1/4" indented bits AND the short 1" (length) bits with the shallow groove. That's great but I like some extension say three or four inches from the impact chuck.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
That looks like a good bet as the bit appears to be positively held in place as well as being operated by only one hand in order to change bits.

Looks like it releases by sliding back? Looks good. I have had the crazy issue of tek screws pulling the bit after a tough drilling. Like the screw gets magnetized & is stronger than the holder. Strange.

templdl

Looks like it releases by sliding back? Looks good. I have had the crazy issue of tek screws pulling the bit after a tough drilling. Like the screw gets magnetized & is stronger than the holder. Strange.

Yes, the holds that hold the bit in by magnetics are about worthless, the ones with the C-ring retainer are much better but can be a bit hard to remove the bit and are also prone to wear and the bit can pull out on its own.
But the holders as the suggested actually lock the bit in place which I have found to work very well. No problems with the srew sticking in the slot of the screw. How often does the bit stick in the screw, you go to drive the next screw and then you notice that you have no bit and then start to look where it went to. It turns the simple chore of driving screws into a time consuming task hen you are trying to get some work done. Frustrating!
But I am still intregued by the impact driver which I had a chance to use briefly and was quite impressed with how easy it worked by using less preasure in order to drive the screw into wood.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I don't see myself not using impact screw gun. I have a 12V DEWALT and 18V Dewlat impact driver. I like the 12V because it is lighter (much lighter) than the 18V.

Status
Not open for further replies.