New Type of CSST

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There is a new lightning safe CSST product available, its called TracPipe CounterStrike. "This CSST has a conductive black jacket that eliminates the need for any additional bonding" according to the company.
Time will tell, as I am sure when the original CSST came out it had great claims for its use.
www.tracpipe.com for more info.
There is a lot of controversy on bonding of CSST. Mike Holt has sent out a newsletter on this subject recently and he recommends that electricians do not bond it.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think it is all that new, I have heard of it quite some time ago, maybe up to or even more than 5 years ago, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone install it either, not sure why.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't think it is all that new, I have heard of it quite some time ago, maybe up to or even more than 5 years ago, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone install it either, not sure why.
'
One of the larger municipalities in our area requires ALL CSST to be bonded with a conductor to the manifold. The "newer" is more expensive and due to local rules has to be bonded anyway so there is little motivation to purchase it. may be the same elsewhere.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The reuirements of the manufacturer, in this case, are overruled by the gas code. The gas code does not make a distinction for CSST- it all must be bonded.

Counterstrike has been out for well over 3 years and I have always bonded it because I don't trust the manufacturers.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Two of the six manufactureres of CSST, TracPipe "CounterStrike" and Gastite "Flash Shield" both make a carbon composite covering that is black in color and have been on the market for a good while, both advertise "No aditional bonding required by the manufacturer" but are still required to be bonded by the gas codes.

Two proposals have been made for 2014 code changes.

One asking for no bonding of the carbon composite, and the other asking for bonding of all CSST.

I will vote for the bonding of all.

kwired

Electron manager
Two of the six manufactureres of CSST, TracPipe "CounterStrike" and Gastite "Flash Shield" both make a carbon composite covering that is black in color and have been on the market for a good while, both advertise "No aditional bonding required by the manufacturer" but are still required to be bonded by the gas codes.

Two proposals have been made for 2014 code changes.

One asking for no bonding of the carbon composite, and the other asking for bonding of all CSST.

I will vote for the bonding of all.

I will vote for the abandoning of all CSST:D

BPoindexter

Inactive, Email Never Verified
The key phrase is:

"There are no additional bonding requirements for TracPipe? CounterStrike? imposed by the manufacturer's installation instructions."

What they then go on to say is:

"With TracPipe? CounterStrike?'s improved properties, TracPipe? CounterStrike? is to be bonded in accordance with current requirements of the National Electrical Code (NFPA 70), and the National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54), and with any local requirements that may be in excess of the national codes. This may result in the avoidance of additional bonding costs which are required for conventional CSST"

All sales pitch double speak. I am with kwired...

north star

$ $ $

Dennis,

Seeking clarity here!.......Bond it where?.....In
Section G2411.1 [ `06 IRC ]
Gas pipe bonding.
"Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system that is likely to become
energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective
ground-fault current path........
Gas piping shall be considered to be bonded
where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment
grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance."

Do you also install an additional connection upstream of the gas meter,
back to the ext. panel?

Oooooops!......Technically, I guess it would be "downstream" of the meter.

$ $ $

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
$ $ $

Dennis,

Seeking clarity here!.......Bond it where?.....In
Section G2411.1 [ `06 IRC ]
Gas pipe bonding.
"Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system that is likely to become
energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective
ground-fault current path........
Gas piping shall be considered to be bonded
where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment
grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance."

Do you also install an additional connection upstream of the gas meter,
back to the ext. panel?

Oooooops!......Technically, I guess it would be "downstream" of the meter.

$ $ $

That code section does not pertain to CSST. CSST was added to 2009 for International Fuel Gas it is 310.1.1 and for NFPA 54 it is 7.13.2. and IRC 2411.1.1

CSST can be bonded anywhere between the downstream or "load side' of the meter and the first CSST fitting back to the Grounding Electrode System.

Riograndeelectric

After reading Mike's news letters on CSST and the reports published I am bit confused on where the bonding point should be located.

It looks to me the new gas code is requiring the bonding of all CSST regardless of manufactours instructions.
The bonding point should be located on the load side of the gas meter and at the meter and not at the first CSST fitting?
Is this correct?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
After reading Mike's news letters on CSST and the reports published I am bit confused on where the bonding point should be located.

It looks to me the new gas code is requiring the bonding of all CSST regardless of manufactours instructions.
The bonding point should be located on the load side of the gas meter and at the meter and not at the first CSST fitting?
Is this correct?
My understanding is it must be bonded at the point of entry of the building not inside the building. Normally there is a piece of black iron there and that is where we bond to with a brass pipe clamp.

north star

= + =

"My understanding is it must be bonded at the point of entry of the building not inside the building."
That's my understanding as well Dennis!....The "rub" comes in to play
when the exterior electrical panel and the gas meter are opposite sides
of the structure. :D

I had an OmegaFlex rep. tell me that in that situation, the bonding
conductor should be installed on the exterior of the structure, ...back
to the panel and not on the interior of the structure.

+ = +

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
= + =

That's my understanding as well Dennis!....The "rub" comes in to play
when the exterior electrical panel and the gas meter are opposite sides
of the structure. :D

I had an OmegaFlex rep. tell me that in that situation, the bonding
conductor should be installed on the exterior of the structure, ...back
to the panel and not on the interior of the structure.

+ = +

NFPA 54 7.13.2
IFGC 310.1.1
IRC G2511.1.1

CSST gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metalic pipe or fitting BETWEEN THE POINT OF DELIVERY AND THE FIRST DOWNSTREAM CSST FITTING. The bonding jumper shall not be smaller than # 6 copper or equivelent. Gas piping that contain more than one segment of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

Status
Not open for further replies.