Triplex or Quadplex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, please help me with this one.

I am installing a temporary service for a job, it will be an overhead service coming off of a pole. At the base of the pole I have the meter can and a 200A disconnect about 4 to 6 feet off of the ground. Here is the part I need help with.
I want to run triplex overhead 500 feet strung up by power poles to the temporary trailer with a ground rod at the trailer I will connect to. I thought this had to be quadplex, but the inspector is telling me triplex. This will be the first of many inspections and I do not want to have to redo this temporary.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
If it's actually a temporary service coming from the POCO, then it should be triplex. No EGC installed from the utility.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Is the 200A switch at the meter the service disconnecting means, or a meter disconnect switch installed per 230.82(3)?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
What does that have to do with it? There is never an EGC installed from the utility.

If it is POCO then it is service, it is not a feeder. So with service conductors POCO has (3) conductors {2 hots and one Neutral}

So the OP said "Service" if it is service then it is triplex, but if it is feeder then it is quadplex.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
If it is POCO then it is service, it is not a feeder. So with service conductors POCO has (3) conductors {2 hots and one Neutral}

So the OP said "Service" if it is service then it is triplex, but if it is feeder then it is quadplex.

You didn't read the OP very well. It said he had an overhead service with a meter and disconnect at the base of a pole, and that from the meter & disconnect he wants to run conductors overhead to a temporary trailer. If the disconnect on the pole is the service disconnecting means, the overhead conductors to the trailer are a feeder. If the disconnect is only a meter disconnect, then the overhead conductors are still service conductors.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
You didn't read the OP very well. It said he had an overhead service with a meter and disconnect at the base of a pole, and that from the meter & disconnect he wants to run conductors overhead to a temporary trailer. If the disconnect on the pole is the service disconnecting means, the overhead conductors to the trailer are a feeder. If the disconnect is only a meter disconnect, then the overhead conductors are still service conductors.

:slaphead::slaphead:

Got read all the way.

John120/240

I am installing a temporary service for a job, it will be an overhead service coming off of a pole. At the base of the pole I have the meter can and a 200A disconnect about 4 to 6 feet off of the ground. Here is the part I need help with.
I want to run triplex overhead 500 feet strung up by power poles to the temporary trailer with a ground rod at the trailer I will connect to. I thought this had to be quadplex, but the inspector is telling me triplex. This will be the first of many inspections and I do not want to have to redo this temporary.

Any help is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

He states that he has a 200 Amp disconnect. Therefore he would need two ground rods at the

meter & 4 wire to the trailer.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Any help is greatly appreciated.

He states that he has a 200 Amp disconnect. Therefore he would need two ground rods at the

meter & 4 wire to the trailer.[/QUOTE]

Plus a couple rods at the trailer.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
He states that he has a 200 Amp disconnect. Therefore he would need two ground rods at the meter & 4 wire to the trailer.

He states he has a disconnect. He doesn't state that he has an OCPD at the disconnect.

If the disconnect is only a meter disconnect per 230.82(3), then it is still service conductors running to the trailer.

If the disconnect has an OCPD internal or adjacent to it, so that it is the service disconnect, then it would be a feeder running to the trailer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And don't forget there has to be a disconnect, not on or in, but within sight of and not more than 30' distance from the trailer (assuming Article 550 applies).

Status
Not open for further replies.