240 volt halogen

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I have some 240 volt 1500 watt halogen quartz flood lights that use the T3 j series double ended bulbs . 10.13 long bulbs. My question is , is there a problem using these on a 120 volt line if 1000 or 1500 watt 120 volt bulbs are used , I see those bulbs available on line. The amps comes out 6.25 v on 240 with the 1500 watt and of course would be 12.50 amp on 120 v. I cant see any possible problem unless the fixture wires would not be rated for the 12.50 amps . The label is old and hard to read, it is possile it says 120/ 240 volt but all I can make out is the 240. The reason for asking is I allready have a 120 volt line buried 12" as required with a GFCI and that would not be deep enough for a 240 .

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Personally I would stick with 240 volt because that only costs half as much to run.

:p Kidding, but I do like the reduced voltage drop from a 240 circuit vs a 120 circuit. A real supply house should have 240 volt lamps in stock.

jetlag

Thanks iwire

Thanks iwire

I think those fixtures are rated 250 volt so it is up to the installer to use the right lamp for the voltage.

Same as an Edison base porcelain keyless is rated 250 volts http://www.homedepot.com/buy/leviton-porcelain-keyless-lamp-holder-r50-09875-000.html#.UJ_utGd62So

The edison doesnt have fixture wires but I think surely the asbestos wires in a commercial fixture like this would handle the 12.5 amp dont you think ? Ive seen people string christmas lights with more amps than that off of a screw in receptacle adapter on a 150 watt flood light socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.