Old Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleveland

Good morning,

This group had the most threads so I thought I'd post here. This is a little off-topic so forgive me. Years back I was given a complete 10 volume set of Hawkins Electrical Guides. They were printed in 1914 by Theo Audel & Co. of New York City. Volume 1 has a nice pen and ink drawing of Thomas Edison on a front page! I have had these for years but I'm wondering if there would be a good place to donate them to? Would anyone on-board know if some group, maybe the IEEE, would have any interest in these for a library? They are beginning to drop parts of their black cover/binding when opened. They have the nice, old style gold edging on the pages. I hate to just re-cycle this material. Any help would be appreciated. I think you can contact me via PM to keep this group clean.

Thanks for your time,

Jim Koryta

Years back I was given a complete 10 volume set of Hawkins Electrical Guides. They were printed in 1914 by Theo Audel & Co. of New York City. Volume 1 has a nice pen and ink drawing of Thomas Edison on a front page! I have had these for years but I'm wondering if there would be a good place to donate them to?

I'd say the best place for them is on your own bookshelf (I have a 1917 copyright set, printed in 1926). Why ever would you want to get rid of them? If you do donate- ask the recipient whether they actually want the books first. Try the local college EE department. Could also try one of the rail museums that does electric trains, like the Western Rail Museum in California; they have a large library.

zog

You could donate them to the Zog library :) I love those old electrical books, have a little collection of stuff in my office.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would suggest a call to the reference desk at the local library. They might not be interested in adding this type of book to their collection, but they might be able to lead you to someone (in addition to Zog :happyyes: ) who would like to have them.

cleveland

Thanks for the ideas. Well, I have had these books at work for years. I retired on October 31, 2012 and while not getting out of the electrical business entirely I'm not sure my wife or the two cats will think that much of them. I'm trying to downsize a bit too so passing them on to a party or group who would appreciate them is all I want.

cadpoint

I really like Charlie's idea, donate to a library! Call ahead, local, regional, state.

Traveling, I always find out where the library's are!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Not to take away from the generosity of the OP, But I couldn't believe the prices of these sets on ebay. I would have thought they would have ben a lot higher.

Flatpad

Not to take away from the generosity of the OP, But I couldn't believe the prices of these sets on ebay. I would have thought they would have ben a lot higher.
I'll pay for them if they are digital. I don't want anymore books :rant:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I'll pay for them if they are digital. I don't want anymore books :rant:

Here ya go, no money needed...
http://www.hawkinsonline.org/index.php?vol=1&ch=1

Also look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkins_Electrical_Guide

Google Books Volume Links

As of September 2008, Google Books does not provide a simple, direct means to find each volume of this media set, and appears to include scanned copies of different volumes from different libraries and copyright dates from 1914-1917. Scan quality varies from one volume to the next. For your convenience, links to the available scanned media are provided here:
Volume 1, Copyright 1917, Impression 1921, from the University of California
Volume 2, Copyright 1917, from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, General Library System
Volume 3, Copyright 1917, Impression 1926, from the Harvard College Library
Volume 4, Copyright 1917, from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, General Library System,
Volume 5, Copyright 1917, from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, General Library System
Volume 6, Copyright 1917, from the Harvard College Library
Volume 7 & 8, Copyright 1914, from the New York Public Library
Volume 9, Copyright 1917, Impression 1926, from the Harvard College Library
Volume 10, Copyright 1917, Impression 1924-1925, from the Harvard College Library

You can download .pdf of each individual book for free.

jumper

I would suggest a call to the reference desk at the local library. They might not be interested in adding this type of book to their collection, but they might be able to lead you to someone (in addition to Zog :happyyes: ) who would like to have them.

To add to this, most libraries will have information on binding services-larger libraries may do it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.