Sealing Locknuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You need to check the UL white book are sealing locknuts listed for use with PVC? PVC mfgs make rubber washers that are used with TAs.
Meyers hubs are not listed for use with PVC TAs...

Flatpad

You need to check the UL white book are sealing locknuts listed for use with PVC? PVC mfgs make rubber washers that are used with TAs.
Meyers hubs are not listed for use with PVC TAs...
Honestly, I am not going to check it. I already know that it's not allowed, but I don't care. I don't mean to sound arrogant, just open and honest. I have installed well over 200 services with a PVC MA screwed right into a meyers hub and never a word from an inspector. It works, it works well, and I am happy with it as are my customers and the code officials. I think we go a little too far with some of this stuff and how its listed and all that.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Honestly, I am not going to check it. I already know that it's not allowed, but I don't care. I don't mean to sound arrogant, just open and honest. I have installed well over 200 services with a PVC MA screwed right into a meyers hub and never a word from an inspector. It works, it works well, and I am happy with it as are my customers and the code officials. I think we go a little too far with some of this stuff and how its listed and all that.
Sometimes I think so too, other times I remember this is a NEC forum, not a how to do it so it will work forum.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Once i had an inspector that was so concerned about me using single NM cable clamp for multiple cables that he didn't even inspect the ground rod, intersystem bonding terminal, proper phasing of MWBC and some other items that were much more important than the LISTING of the cable clamp. Just because he thought the single cable clamp was not LISTED for multiple cables.

I sometimes wonder some of these listings don't make any sense at all.

Last edited:

Flatpad

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Once i had an inspector that was so concerned about me using single NM cable clamp for multiple cables that he didn't even inspect the ground rod, intersystem bonding terminal, proper phasing of MWBC and some other items that were much more important than the LISTING of the cable clamp. Just because he thought the single cable clamp was not LISTED for multiple cables.

I sometimes wonder some of these listings don't make any sense at all.
Exactly.

I can seal the top of a meter pan that has SE cable coming in thru a squeeze connector with duct seal. But I can't make a nice connection with a PVC MA and a meyers hub because it isn't listed that way :lol:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Exactly.

I can seal the top of a meter pan that has SE cable coming in thru a squeeze connector with duct seal. But I can't make a nice connection with a PVC MA and a meyers hub because it isn't listed that way :lol:

The SE connector would have to be listed for wet locations, duct seal not required. And SE cable connectors are technically not permitted in hubs either. :roll:

Flatpad

The SE connector would have to be listed for wet locations, duct seal not required. And SE cable connectors are technically not permitted in hubs either. :roll:
Awwww man, that's another 80-90 of my installations that you should go yell at the inspector about :lol:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
It's still there for you to read :) No where did I ask "If it will work", I already knew that it would.

If this isn't asking if it will work, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess people ask questions different in NJ than the west coast....:blink:

Would it be wrong to thread a sealing locknut backwards on the connector before putting it in the box, then install the connector and put a normal locknut inside? This way the sealing locknut is on the outside?

Flatpad

If this isn't asking if it will work, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess people ask questions different in NJ than the west coast....:blink:
I was asking a question of etiquette and also code compliance . No where did I ask if it will work. Of course it will work, why wouldn't it?

Seriously, read what I said. Never did I ask if it would work. If you are going to split hairs, at least know what it is that is going on.

Last edited:

Flatpad

I think you like talking in circles and editing your posts after the fact.

Good luck.
No, I am not and I have not edited any posts after the fact.

I never asked if it would work. That is a fact that you just can't seem to comprehend. I also don't know why you would possibly argue this...

Even the 3 quotes in your last post do not make ANY sense whatsoever.

It's time you step back.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think you like talking in circles and editing your posts after the fact.

Good luck.

No, I am not and I have not edited any posts after the fact.

I never asked if it would work. That is a fact that you just can't seem to comprehend. I also don't know why you would possibly argue this...

Even the 3 quotes in your last post do not make ANY sense whatsoever.

It's time you step back.

The two of you need to take a deep breath and relax.

kwired

Electron manager
I was asking a question of etiquette and also code compliance . No where did I ask if it will work. Of course it will work, why wouldn't it?

Seriously, read what I said. Never did I ask if it would work. If you are going to split hairs, at least know what it is that is going on.

And you received answers to your question. Don't get upset at us just because you didn't get the answer you wanted. I myself happen to agree with you that most of those things brought up will work, I also realize many of those ideas are not something listed for the purpose. I take that information and apply things at my own risk if I choose to install using that method anyway, and you do too.

I'm sure you are well aware of how things work today if someone decides to start a lawsuit. Your installation that "should work" may not get you, but it can easily drag you through the mud in the process, so take this information and use it as you see fit. People here are not telling you you are stupid, they are providing you with information which you are free to use however you wish.

Why isn't a sealing locknut listed for use on a PVC male adapter? I don't know, could be as simple as the manufacturer never had it tested for such purpose even though it very well may work.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why isn't a sealing locknut listed for use on a PVC male adapter? I don't know, could be as simple as the manufacturer never had it tested for such purpose even though it very well may work.

As I understood it, that is exactly why it isn't ;listed. The manufacturer didn't pay for the test,

Status
Not open for further replies.