Restroom Exhaust Fans in Commercial Buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyrick

I usually tie the restroom exhaust fans to the hall lighting circuit so the fans run while the building is occupied. I have a project where the heating contractor used the cheapest fans under the sun and are horribly loud. Now the client is complaining that the fans are noisy and he wants them to turn off with the restroom light switch. I thought commercial restroom fans had to run anytime the building was occupied. Is there an exception for a restroom with only one toilet and sink? This is in Wisconsin if that matters.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is the way I usually see them but I have seen them with occupancy sensors also. This is a building code issue so I am not certain.

jumper

The IBC references the IMC for ventilation issues.

IMC says:

502.18 Specific rooms.
Specific rooms, including bathrooms, locker rooms, smoking lounges and toilet rooms, shall be exhausted in accordance with the ventilation requirements of Chapter 4.

and

401.3 When required.
Ventilation shall be provided during the periods that the room or space is occupied.

John120/240

Builder grade fart fans are just noise makers IMO. Tell the landlord to install a quiet fart fan.

The quiet fans offered by NuTone, Panasocinc, Broan all of them do move more CFM of air.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Depending on which method you choose, continuious when occupied 50 cfm per square foot, if intermittent the cfm rate will increase to 70 cfm per square foot.

For the people who said an occupancy sensor, why not just put it on with the bathroom lights instead?

Depending on which method you choose, continuious when occupied 50 cfm per square foot, if intermittent the cfm rate will increase to 70 cfm per square foot.
Are you sure of those numbers? :jawdrop:

A typical 7X6 handicap single person bathroom would require a fan of almost 3,000 CFM's?

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
For the people who said an occupancy sensor, why not just put it on with the bathroom lights instead?

Are you sure of those numbers? :jawdrop:

A typical 7X6 handicap single person bathroom would require a fan of almost 3,000 CFM's?

Per toilet or urinal 50 cfm for continuious and 75 cfm if intermitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.