GECs at Separate Structures Fed Verification

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryinghard

In my scenario below structures 1-2 include #8cu GEC/bonding jumpers based on feeder size; these aren?t required to be larger are they (I don?t see it if so)?

Electrodes at structure 1 = 1600A service disconnect (SWG) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 3/0 cu
2- Metal frame, 3/0 cu
3- Rods, 6 cu
Electrodes at structure 2 = 125A feeder (#2's) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 8 cu
2- Metal frame, 8 cu
Electrodes at structure 3 = 80A feeder (#4's) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 8 cu
2- Metal frame, 8 cu

In keeping with:
250.32.B (sized per 250.122 for grounding or bonding of equipment, structures, frames?required)
250.50 (related electrodes connected that are served ? not fed)
250.53.C

tryinghard

In my scenario below structures 2-3 include #8cu GEC/bonding jumpers based on feeder size; these aren?t required to be larger are they (I don?t see it if so)?

Electrodes at structure 1 = 1600A service disconnect (SWG) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 3/0 cu
2- Metal frame, 3/0 cu
3- Rods, 6 cu
Electrodes at structure 2 = 125A feeder (#2's) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 8 cu
2- Metal frame, 8 cu
Electrodes at structure 3 = 80A feeder (#4's) with GEC/bonding jumper:
1- CEE, 8 cu
2- Metal frame, 8 cu

In keeping with:
250.32.B (sized per 250.122 for grounding or bonding of equipment, structures, frames?required)
250.50 (related electrodes connected that are served ? not fed)
250.53.C

tryinghard

Bob,

Got it, they can be smaller though base on feeder or service size. I was really trying to varify this scenario is three differant grounding electrode systems that interconnect only via EGC

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bob,

Got it, they can be smaller though base on feeder or service size. I was really trying to varify this scenario is three differant grounding electrode systems that interconnect only via EGC

However, it might well be more cost effective to run a larger wire and avoid having to run some kind of physical protection like EMT which would require bonding bushings. I think #4 and larger can be run without extra protection, but smaller GECs require physical protection of some sort.

tryinghard

True and these are stubs so there's not quite as much but this is worth considering. To me 250.64.B is strangely worded but looks like #8 and smaller need protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.