Work spacing (again) about panel in closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarbaby

We have a panel installed in a closet. The closet door width is 36? wide, panel width is 20?. Front of panel is parallel to the closet door when the closet door is closed. Distance from inside of closet door to front of panel is 24?. Door on panel can fully open 90 degrees with the closet door open or closed.

With the closet door open, you have the 30? width and more than 48? in front of the panel. Panel is 120/208 3 phase 100 ampere panel.

Does this install violate 29CFR1910.303(g)(1)(vi)(B) of the OSHA regulations(basicly, NEC 110.26(A)(1)? There is no AHJ other than OSHA for this location.

Assume the closet is not used for any other purpose, i.e. no mops, buckets, etc.

Thank you for your comments.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
We have a panel installed in a closet. The closet door width is 36? wide, panel width is 20?. Front of panel is parallel to the closet door when the closet door is closed. Distance from inside of closet door to front of panel is 24?. Door on panel can fully open 90 degrees with the closet door open or closed.

With the closet door open, you have the 30? width and more than 48? in front of the panel. Panel is 120/208 3 phase 100 ampere panel.

Does this install violate 29CFR1910.303(g)(1)(vi)(B) of the OSHA regulations(basicly, NEC 110.26(A)(1)? There is no AHJ other than OSHA for this location.

Assume the closet is not used for any other purpose, i.e. no mops, buckets, etc.

Thank you for your comments.

.:roll::happyno:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Only problem is that you meet clearance with door open and don't meet it with door closed. There is the possibility that someone could close the door on a worker. Does door open into closet or out from it? If opening in, worker could secure it open more easily.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have always liked putting panels behind doors, it keeps the working space clear.

Roger

John120/240

A picture over the panel can hide it also. The problem with panels in a closet, some pencil

pusher Yahoo decides that closet is ideal for last ten years file storage. Yes I know with proper

maintenance supervision this shouldn't be a problem but it still happens.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have always liked putting panels behind doors, it keeps the working space clear.

Roger

Me too....
Me too, also. Putting them behind doors or in hallways (dedicated electrical rooms excepted, of course... most of the time) seems to be the only way to keep the workspace from becoming a storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.