Infloor recepticals

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennH

Been a -long- time. What is your favorite infloor receptical to use in a residential home? On carpet and
open basement below. Anyones to avoid?

TIA

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Carlon had a kit Lowe's used to sell. I liked it because it had attached flip caps that did not get lost and made a good seal. If you seal the edge of the plate with caulk, the cap will keep minor spills out of the outlet, such as from floor mopping, etc. Most hole saw types I have seen only have the single receptacle. Carlon has a standard duplex receptacle. Brass types are nice but very pricey. Some of them also use odd sized screws such as 12-24 that can be impossible to find if you strip a screw and need a replacement.

jmellc

Occupation
This one!
The plug goes down into the box/receptacle. IMO, a cleaner look, especially if low to the floor furniture is over it.

That looks like one I roughed in on a remodel. Had an aggravation. I told GC I was leaving the papers, nailed to the wall & that the flooring had to be cut just right for the parts to fit. He just glanced it over & cut it his way. Lots of chiseling to to because of that. If I do that again, I will insist on a piece of flooring so I can cut it in properly. Then the other flooring will have to start from my piece. It is hard to get other trades to understand the need for a good cut/proper fit.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That looks like one I roughed in on a remodel. Had an aggravation. I told GC I was leaving the papers, nailed to the wall & that the flooring had to be cut just right for the parts to fit. He just glanced it over & cut it his way. Lots of chiseling to to because of that. If I do that again, I will insist on a piece of flooring so I can cut it in properly. Then the other flooring will have to start from my piece. It is hard to get other trades to understand the need for a good cut/proper fit.

I don't know about using them on new construction but for old work they are great.
There is a template to use for the cut-out. It's not cut square like you would think just looking at the box. It is rounded at the corners. I'm guessing that's so the round cover will cover it well. If you cut it with square corners, there is more of a chance the top brass cover wouldn't hide the corner cuts.
Another plus with this box is it is adjustable for different floors/coverings.

I would prefer to use one that only required a hole saw to cut out the opening. But the only ones I have found that you can use a hole saw on only are single receptacle. Most want a duplex receptacle, so I use the one pictured.

Hendrix

That is why I have always cut it in myself :happyyes:

jmellc

Occupation
I don't know about using them on new construction but for old work they are great.
There is a template to use for the cut-out. It's not cut square like you would think just looking at the box. It is rounded at the corners. I'm guessing that's so the round cover will cover it well. If you cut it with square corners, there is more of a chance the top brass cover wouldn't hide the corner cuts.
Another plus with this box is it is adjustable for different floors/coverings.

I would prefer to use one that only required a hole saw to cut out the opening. But the only ones I have found that you can use a hole saw on only are single receptacle. Most want a duplex receptacle, so I use the one pictured.

Yes, that is about the situation. I told him to use the template, that the parts would not fit otherwise. He proceeded to cut close around the box. Would have been perfect if a standard recep in a wall, etc. Fortunately, I could cut it out fairly well with my vibe saw. Nice appearance when finished & customer liked that plug could hide down in box. GC's are hard to raise, like kids.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.