20 foot pvc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe it is special order so it is available. Disadvantage is length and advantage is length- I can see it for long runs with less couplings.

harpo

harpo

it was popular 20 years ago. it was schedule 20, pvc. the 20' lengths are light, but fragile. it was used mostly for the utility companys primary service. haven,t seen any lately.

Torok005

I literally installed miles of 5" x 20' pieces of Schedule 40 under Michagan State University 4 years ago. 20' pieces are the only way to go from a production point of view :thumbsup:. It cuts the cost of glue and the labor to install it in half.

Torok005

It is possible to bend extra large sweeps with 20' lengths.

Yup, 2 ways:
1 : large enough heater and some time
2 : large enough stakes and some space

If heating it helps to have caps for the ends to hold the heat in. The older, more knowledgable sparkies in my area tell me it heats faster that way. I tend to believe them.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We use it all the time for long runs, it's just like the regular sticks of pvc, only 10' longer.:lol:

Supply house keeps a lift of 2" on hand usually, and can usually have more within a day or two.

kwired

Electron manager
it was popular 20 years ago. it was schedule 20, pvc. the 20' lengths are light, but fragile. it was used mostly for the utility companys primary service. haven,t seen any lately.

We are still using a lot of the thin walled 20 foot lengths here. They are not UL listed raceway. There may be listed sch 40 or 80 available. When we use the non listed thinwalled pipe we are using primarily for rodent protection of what is otherwise direct burial rated conductors. If not for the threat of rodent damage many of these installs would probably be direct burial conductors only. We are using it mostly for long runs on farms. Like 1400 feet from road to irrigation wells.

GerryB

This is 3" that the gc is buying, and it's only an 80' run, kind of senseless. Does it cost more? And can you install it yourself:D? Let's see, set it up on a block, swab, and start running. And it's not glue, it's CEMENT, as we all know from a different thread.

jeremysterling

Yup, 2 ways:
1 : large enough heater and some time
2 : large enough stakes and some space

If heating it helps to have caps for the ends to hold the heat in. The older, more knowledgable sparkies in my area tell me it heats faster that way. I tend to believe them.

The "older, more knowledgable sparkies" at the shop I work at built a massive jig, capped the ends, poured in the heat, and bent a lot of really big, really nice sweeps.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.