Future Circuiting Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjken1969

I was asked by a client to provide circuiting for futurelighting.

They are asking to terminate the circuiting in junctionboxes above some sales tables. I?m pretty sure this is a violation of theNEC. Can someone point me to the code section that addresses this? I'm suggesting they just install the pipe with a pull cord.

iwire

Staff member
I was asked by a client to provide circuiting for futurelighting.

They are asking to terminate the circuiting in junctionboxes above some sales tables. I?m pretty sure this is a violation of theNEC. Can someone point me to the code section that addresses this? I'm suggesting they just install the pipe with a pull cord.

Why would this be a violtion?

At any rate it is not a violtion at all, just cap them off and put a blank plate on the box.

rjken1969

Even if the breakers are installed? Feeders can be left in a capped junction box connected to a breaker in a live panel?

I would assume the feeds would have to be terminated in some way.

dhalleron

For lighting circuits, I don't see it being a problem as long as the breakers are sized properly for the wire.

I installed some circuits for future residential air conditioners. The inspector made me remove the breakers and install breaker blanks. His reasoning was that since the ac units weren't set yet, we had no idea what the nameplate was going to say about "maximum circuit breaker size". This made sense to me because I know the HVAC installer was not going to care one way or another if it called for 25 amp breaker maximum and I installed 30 amp.

iwire

Staff member
For lighting circuits, I don't see it being a problem as long as the breakers are sized properly for the wire.

I installed some circuits for future residential air conditioners. The inspector made me remove the breakers and install breaker blanks. His reasoning was that since the ac units weren't set yet, we had no idea what the nameplate was going to say about "maximum circuit breaker size". This made sense to me because I know the HVAC installer was not going to care one way or another if it called for 25 amp breaker maximum and I installed 30 amp.

In my opinion the inspector had no right or code on his side for that request.

Status
Not open for further replies.