Submersible pump cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well then something does seem to be amiss but I never megged anything so I will let the experts handle this. At least this will bump you to the top.

Phil Corso

DaytonE...

1) What is cable-type: 1xc conductors; 3x1 conductorc: or 3/c Flat?

2) Are you able to measure ph-ph R and X from one end with other end shorted?

Regards, Phil Corso

The cable is flat with orentation G-A-B-C. So the A that has the low resistance is the closet to the G Conductor. At first they megged A-.5 mohm, B-1.5 mohm, and C-1.5 mohm. So I cut off the older ends of the conductors that had been exposed origanly to see if that would help and that is when the readings improved but I was still unsure of the readings. Yes I both ends are accessible to test.

Thank You
Steve

Phil Corso

DaytonE...

3) Have you done a visual inspection of the entire length for physical anomalies!

4) Do you have line-ampere measurements when unit was in operation! Caveat... because of the Flat configuration readings will be asymmetrical!

5) Are you unable to measure R and X as suggested earlier?

6) I suggest you try drying-out the cable for say 12-24 hrs. Do you need help with procedure?

Regards, Phil

Because it is flat is what I thought may be causeing the differance in readings. I just am not sure what they should be. I have reserched what should be good and bad for a megger test and at around 60 ohms on the A conductor the cable should be good. What I am not sure about is the big differance from the A conductor to the B and C conductors.

Thanks
Steve

G._S._Ohm

The cable is flat with orentation G-A-B-C.
So A-G has two layers of insulation between conductors, B-G has four and C-G has six, so I'd expect the readings to vary in the ratio 2:4:6 or 1:2:3 assuming all conductors are separately insulated.

There are also A-B, A-C and B-C, which 'should' vary as 2:4:2.

With an uninsulated ground you 'should' get
AG 1
BG 3
CG 5
AB 2
AC 4
BC 2

Last edited:

Phil Corso

Steve...

The different Megger readings should have nothing to do with conductor asymmetry!

I suggested the R and X measurements to see if the conductors' physical/electrical charateristics were altered!

If the 3 readings, after dry-out are similar, then water ingress is/was at fault!

9) What was the motor's insulation reading?

BTW, can you provide Hp and Voltage?

Phil Corso

Steve...

GS Ohm's approach certainly has merit! But, it only works if one is able to plot leakage-current, vs time! The following discussion may help:

An IR test involving the application of a DC voltage and measuring leakage-current over time can be used to assess IR quality. For example, had you tested two cables of equal length but different insulation thickness, the thicker one would require a longer test-time. Following is a brief explanation.

When testing insulation resistance, R=E/I, where E is the applied DC voltage, and I the observed leakage-current. Omitting temperature and humidity factors, then, what other time-related factors are there? The time to reach a certain current magnitude through leakage-paths over the insulation surface, and through the insulation's volume. Three current components are present; one transient and two steady-state:

1. Capacitance Charging Current: Contrary to popular belief, while it starts out high, it decays relatively quickly; in the order of tenths of seconds.

2. Absorption Current: It too starts high, but then decays over a period involving minutes.

3. Leakage Current: It is essentially a small but constant current both over and through.

Steve, I don't know if this will solve your specific problem... but it might answer a future "Why!"

Status
Not open for further replies.