Hazardous location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question regarding a structure/space not being considered a hazardous location. The facility I work at is preparing to bring two large industrial boilers on line. Other electrical technicians have questioned why the structures these units are in would not be classified as a "hazardous location"? I recently was asked to review a work order for the installation of an EPO station on the exterior of the "houses" the boilers are in and after performing a walk-down of the units, I myself questioned why the structures they are in, is not considered at a minimum a Class 1, Div. 2 location. Here is some info on the spaces: The boilers are dual fuel and supplied with both natural gas and #2 fuel oil. The natural gas line is 2-1/2" and operates at 5lbs of pressure. The fuel oil feed line is 3/4" and has a small assist pump located inside the space. Numerous valves, regulators and other instruments control/monitor flow, pressure, etc. and are co-located inside the space occupied by the boilers. As well, all of the electrical power, control cabinets and disconnects are installed inside the houses. At present, an operator or maintenance technician would have to enter the structure to engage the EPO switch in the event of an "abnormal operating condition" or an actual emergency. There are not any gas detection devices inside the houses nor are there any exterior mounted signaling or alarm devices to alert an operator/technician of a hazardous condition inside. Both fuel types have control interlocks to shut down fuel delivery into the boiler combustion chamber in the event of a malfunction. However, the fuel shut- offs do not restrict entry into the boiler "houses" themselves. Another consideration is that there isn't any provision for ventilation of the space other than an exhaust fan controlled by a wall thermostat. This fan of course is not designed to vent any type of vapors or gases but simply hot air. Finally, the large boiler exhaust fan(s) only vent combustion air and will no doubt cause considerable vibration inside the boiler houses so the probability of valve, instrument, seal and gasket failure or leakage of either or both of the fuel delivery lines due to excessive vibration seems likely under normal operating conditions. That being said, the potential for the accumulation of explosive gases, liquids or vapors does exist.

After reviewing 500.5(B)(2) paragraph (1), it would appear clear to me that these spaces would meet the conditions outlined in the article and should therefore, be considered a hazardous location? As well, I think the EPO switch should be remoted away from the houses by a considerable distance rather than mounted on them and that some type of leak detection device and an externally mounted alarm/signaling device(s) should be installed. Among the other electricians familiar with the boiler units/houses, there is a consensus in agreement with these evaluations. Is it possible that since these units are manufactured as "package units", they have been UL approved for this configuration and do not meet the conditions described in 500.5(B)(2)? Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm sorry, but even where the codes require classification, I have a big problem understanding why we would have to use equipment rated for Class I, Division 2 in an area where there is an open flame as part of the normal process.

USMC1302

Sounds like a space identical to most school building boiler rooms in the Midwest at one time or another. What hazardous atmosphere exists under normal operating conditions? Thousands of locations just like you describe.

Sounds like a space identical to most school building boiler rooms in the Midwest at one time or another. What hazardous atmosphere exists under normal operating conditions? Thousands of locations just like you describe.

The typical shool boiler room would be larger than these particular "houses". I don't have the dimensions on hand but could get them. They are free standing structures built around the boiler(s) and they are pretty cramped inside. As far as hazardous atmospheres under normal operating conditions, there shouldn't be any. However, the article mentions in paragraph (1) ~liquids, vapor or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems or in case of abnormal operation of equipment~

A Class 1, Div 1 location would deal with the likely presence of a hazardous atmosphere under normal operating conditions would it not? I think this particular paragraph, 500.5(B)(2)par(1) deals with the "possibility" or "potential" to have a hazardous atmosphere or condition due to "abnormal" operating conditions doesn't it?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The typical shool boiler room would be larger than these particular "houses". I don't have the dimensions on hand but could get them. They are free standing structures built around the boiler(s) and they are pretty cramped inside. As far as hazardous atmospheres under normal operating conditions, there shouldn't be any. However, the article mentions in paragraph (1) ~liquids, vapor or gases will normally be confined within closed containers or closed systems from which they can escape only in case of accidental rupture or breakdown of such containers or systems or in case of abnormal operation of equipment~

A Class 1, Div 1 location would deal with the likely presence of a hazardous atmosphere under normal operating conditions would it not? I think this particular paragraph, 500.5(B)(2)par(1) deals with the "possibility" or "potential" to have a hazardous atmosphere or condition due to "abnormal" operating conditions doesn't it?
Even if you are saying it is a Division 2 area, you still have an open flame, as part of the normal operation of the equipment, that would be much more likely to ignite the leaking fuel than the electrical equipment. I see the classification of areas like this as unreasonable, even where the codes require those areas to be classified.
In general the NEC only tells you how to make the electrical installation after the area has been classified. There are other NFPA documents that give much more detail on hot to classify an area.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This like the 25' radius around a gas pump that is Class I, Division 2 up to 18" above grade. We have to use electrical equipment that is suitable for the area, yet vehicles with multiple sources of ignition are permitted in this same area without restriction.

kwired

Electron manager

With that approach every home, business, industry, etc. with gas piping would contain classified areas, just in case there was a leak in the piping.

Status
Not open for further replies.