Cut in a 2 hr rated wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul

I have a situtation. This is a healthcare facility. Anethesia room. They want to add a nurse call station, but I have a 2 hr rated, double rocked wall. Any thoughts on this install wihout opening the wall and including the 1/2" flex raceway, so the plastic Arlington boxes with internal screws for NM are out.

gndrod

I have a situtation. This is a healthcare facility. Anethesia room. They want to add a nurse call station, but I have a 2 hr rated, double rocked wall. Any thoughts on this install wihout opening the wall and including the 1/2" flex raceway, so the plastic Arlington boxes with internal screws for NM are out.

Hi Paul,

Interesting challenge. A surface mounted piezo remote rf switch with the receiver in the opposite side wall cut-in for the call box maybe? Not sure if this would be permitted and have no idea where to find an answer.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
You will have to open the wall as the code says that the box has to be secured to the sturcture in a one and two hour wall. The problem is that you hav to cut out the hole back at least two stud bays and the joints can't line up so the first layer has to go in out to the farthest studs and then the second layer goes on to the studs closet to the box.

I hope that made sense.

gndrod

rock vs. RF

rock vs. RF

You will have to open the wall as the code says that the box has to be secured to the sturcture in a one and two hour wall. The problem is that you hav to cut out the hole back at least two stud bays and the joints can't line up so the first layer has to go in out to the farthest studs and then the second layer goes on to the studs closet to the box.

I hope that made sense.

John,
I will give it a try. According to my therapist, interpretation can be difficult over the internet, but from cell phone texting may even be more challenging. What I do get is that the two layer rock needs to be cut back at least 2 joist bays in order to comply with fire spread regulations 300.21. If this is the case, I do believe metal flex or MI cable would still need lateral sealing for fire draft protection to the mounted switch box. Mention of type of wiring, conduit, wall structure and lack thereof needs clarification by the OP.

Maybe Z-wave is not such a far off idea considering the scope of the work needed. The switch itself is a remote piezo electric device that does not have wiring nor battery elements. The unit only needs mastic adhesive attachment and must be capable of signaling through a non-metallic wallboard to a receiving box that interfaces with the nurse call center. The receiver can be powered at the receiving box that will be easily accessible in a closet that is within the minimum signal distance from the upgraded room.

The flip side RF technology may cause unforeseen conditions within the facility. I hope my explanation is just as easily understood and considered. Thanks, rbj

kwired

Electron manager

Is surface mounting out of the question? Is this wall required to be 2 hr wall? Or is it one that just got rocked over a 2nd time during a remodel at some point?

paul

Is surface mounting out of the question? Is this wall required to be 2 hr wall? Or is it one that just got rocked over a 2nd time during a remodel at some point?

Brand new building not even online yet. All penetrations are fire-caulked and labeled. Our original crew said they were VERY strict on wall penetrations through rated walls.

Thx.

kwired

Electron manager
Brand new building not even online yet. All penetrations are fire-caulked and labeled. Our original crew said they were VERY strict on wall penetrations through rated walls.

Thx.

So is surface mounting out of the question? Maybe Wiremold? I can see where for sanitation and sterilization they maybe would not prefer that, but that also means more work to install flush equipment.

north star

& &

"iwire:
Gndrod, what John described are building code issues not NEC.
:) "
This proposed installation is also an NEC issue!....Because the Anesthetizing Room
is a Class 1, Division 1 location, special wiring guidelines are in order....Refer to
Article 517 & 501 in the `08 NEC.....Also, refer to NFPA 99 - Health Care
Facilities.

% %

Status
Not open for further replies.