Help with knob and tube question

Status
Not open for further replies.

badashuka

My wife's grandmother wants to get her attic insulated but she was told she could not because she has knob and tube. I don't have a lot of experience with this and could not find it in the code book. Please help direct me in the right directions so I can help her out, she is 90 and cold.

badashuka

I found the article, and as far as I interpret it seems to say the attic can be insulated but not in the bays with knob and tube. Does this sound correct?

480sparky

394.12 Uses Not Permitted. Concealed knob-and-tube
wiring shall not be used in the following:
(5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such
spaces are insulated by loose, rolled, or foamed-in-place
insulating material that envelops the conductors.

badashuka

Sparky 480 posted the article I was referring to. So my interpretation is insulate the attic but not the bays with knob and tube. If anyone disagrees please let me know and explain. I appreciate everyone's input and time.

badashuka

One other thing. I don't see anything about the cloth tubes that is placed over the conductor when it enters a box.. Is this a requirement? And where do you get it because I looked at the hardware store and they don't sell it

Speshulk

394.12 Uses Not Permitted. Concealed knob-and-tube
wiring shall not be used in the following:
(5) Hollow spaces of walls, ceilings, and attics where such
spaces are insulated by loose, rolled, or foamed-in-place
insulating material that envelops the conductors.

Sparky 480 posted the article I was referring to. So my interpretation is insulate the attic but not the bays with knob and tube. If anyone disagrees please let me know and explain. I appreciate everyone's input and time.

The way I read that, as long as the insulation doesn't envelop the wiring, you're ok. So if there is space between the wiring and the ceiling below the wiring to install insulation without the wiring ending up inside the insulation, it's fine to insulate.

shepelec

In my area, insulation contractors will not insulate unless the electrician issues a letter stating that all the K&T has been removed from the area.

Your best bet is to remove all of the K&T in the attic so there are not gaps in the insulation envelope.

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Rewire before you insulate, it will be easier ( cheaper) now than later. Why leave a know hazard up there? It will have to be rewired at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.