Number of breakers in a panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullheimer

in most panels, the peanut breakers will only fit in a few dedicated places, like the last ten spots on the bottom. SQ D printout of QO says if the breakers fit, the panel will handle them. but like i said, tandems wont sometimes fit everywhere.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
How many other items do they have that if you call them by their actual name, or a trade name - they may not know what you are talking about?

If I am ordering a panelboard I generally will be giving them some more details of what I want and not just telling them "I want a panelboard" and hope I get what I want. For the common "loadcenters" I usually have most of the catalog numbers of the ones I use the most memorized and just ask for the catalog number. For the commercial series panelboards, you not only need to order the panelboard, you also need to specify the enclosure, cover, and other options.

We beat our suppliers up so bad that our office just wants the cheapest price possible, I think sometimes they purposely order a loadcenter instead of a panel board even though the quote is for one or their too lazy to give them any numbers other than voltage and amperage.

kbsparky

in most panels, the peanut breakers will only fit in a few dedicated places, like the last ten spots on the bottom. SQ D printout of QO says if the breakers fit, the panel will handle them. but like i said, tandems wont sometimes fit everywhere.

Square D makes piggy-back breakers that will fit in any open space of any panel.

They may not be class CTL rated, but I'll bet the farm that they outsell the CTL rated ones.... :blink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Square D makes piggy-back breakers that will fit in any open space of any panel.

They may not be class CTL rated, but I'll bet the farm that they outsell the CTL rated ones.... :blink:
Around here the supply house does not even stock the CTL ones.

kwired

Electron manager
Around here the supply house does not even stock the CTL ones.

That is because most professionals are installing 40 circuit panels instead of 20/40 panels.

Mobile home manufacturers OTOH, want to use the 20/40 panels and as many tandems and quads as possible.

AFCI has changed this to some extent though:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.