dining room on AFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

Receptacle circuits in the dining room are required to be 20 amp and may be served from the kitchen SA circuit and are not required to be on GFCI. If they arer not on GFCI, does that mean that they are required to be on AFCI? Are lights in the kitchen, nook, dining room, and family room required to be on AFCI?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Receptacle circuits in the dining room are required to be 20 amp and may be served from the kitchen SA circuit and are not required to be on GFCI. If they arer not on GFCI, does that mean that they are required to be on AFCI? Are lights in the kitchen, nook, dining room, and family room required to be on AFCI?

2011 NEC,,,,,,,,,,yes

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Other than highlighted, what part is ambiguous?

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas
shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit.

Speshulk

So if the dining room receptacles are connected to the kitchen counter SABC, then those counter outlets need to be both AFI and GFI.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Correct. GFCI and AFCI are independent requirements of each other. In this case they overlap.

I agree,210.12 the list incudes dining rooms,,You could install GFCI receptacles all over the house ,however that does not releave the AFCI requirments.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
With respect to the (2) kitchen SABC's, if you choose to, you can extend the AFCI protected dining room receptacle circuit and use it as one of the required SAB circuits. In this case that (1) kitchen circuit would also end up being AFCI protected. However, IMHO I would not wire in such a way where the load side of a kitchen GFI receptacle ends up serving the dining room receptacle circuit. As far as I know there's no requirement to have dining room receptacles GFI protected.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
2014 Draft-- rude awakening

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected as described by (1), (2), (3), or (4).[ROP 2–80, ROP 2–82a, ROP 2–85]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
With respect to the (2) kitchen SABC's, if you choose to, you can extend the AFCI protected dining room receptacle circuit and use it as one of the required SAB circuits. In this case that (1) kitchen circuit would also end up being AFCI protected. However, IMHO I would not wire in such a way where the load side of a kitchen GFI receptacle ends up serving the dining room receptacle circuit.

I tend to favor the same idea. If I share, I hit the dining room first.

Subtle correction: the dining room circuit is a SABC even if it solely serves the dining room.

renosteinke

Well, now we know where to use those (yet to be sold) AFCI devices!

SABC breaker -> Kitchen portion -> AFCI device -> Dining Room portion. You've placed the device at the 'origin' of the mandated AFCI part of the circuit.

Let the discussion begin :D

Status
Not open for further replies.