Xray machine for Electrical connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud

Hi. This certain busduct design wont allow us to inspect visually whether the contacts are properly inserted or not. I'm suggesting the use of thermal scanners for early detection, but somebody is suggesting to use xray so we can verify the connection before handover to operation? Is there such a thing?

Thanks guys.

brian john

If they are really concerned, you could ductor/micro-ohm meter each joint, if you could not gain access at the splices you could go from a the same point (such as a bus plug access) above and below each joint, you would look for similar readings at each location.

But I have never heard of busway being frayed, but there is a lot of stuff I have never heard of.

One of many Micro-ohm meters available.

http://www.atecorp.com/equipment/megger/dlro_10.asp

WorkSafe

We use Xray equipment on our aircraft all the time, but not really for electrical. One thing for sure, it would probably be cost prohibitive for a smaller operation. You have to deal with the expense of the equipment, plus all the safety/medical programs that go along with the radiation exposure, etc.

brian john

While there are firms that X-Ray (such as decks) for conduits, rebar or stress cables and I am sure they could do this I am not sure the benefits would be worth it.

The joints on busway could look tight but still not be properly torqued.

I still think a visual inspection checking the alignment of the busway, check all hardware for correct torque, megger (before, during and after installation) and if you want to know if the connections adequate measure the contact resistance.

G._S._Ohm

Yes, measure the resistance and subtract for expected resistance due to conductor length. Whatever is left over must be contact resistance.

This might not be so easy due to "confounding variables" so you may have to make many measurements and look for correlations/conflicts.

brian john

Yes, measure the resistance and subtract for expected resistance due to conductor length. Whatever is left over must be contact resistance.

This might not be so easy due to "confounding variables" so you may have to make many measurements and look for correlations/conflicts.

"IF" This is a busway riser with standard locations for plugin busway fused switches or circuit breakers the readings can be standard from splice to splice if they use the same ports. Then there is no expected resistance to be concerned with.

Status
Not open for further replies.