Kitchen counter outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Foelber

Good Morning,
Is anyone aware of an exception for apartments regarding the (2) small appliance branch circuits for kitchen counters. I am bidding a project and drawings show multiple kitchen GFIs on the same wall one 1 circuit? It is my understanding that they have to be (2) and staggered. Maybe exception in CA. for apts??

renosteinke

My kitchen in Reno required, using current code rules, only 1 receptacle. That's it. Pretty hard to power one receptacle with two circuits.

So, the code has a problem here. I don't see anywhere in the code where it says "add extra receptacles to make room for more circuits.' Nowhere does it say you must have at least five ft. of counter, so two receptacles are necessary.

This exposes the silliness of 'designing to code minimum.'

As for staggering: not a requirement, might make sense. It's a design choice. You might find another arrangement better suited; it all depends on the layout of the kitchen and dining areas.

kwired

Electron manager
My kitchen in Reno required, using current code rules, only 1 receptacle. That's it. Pretty hard to power one receptacle with two circuits.

So, the code has a problem here. I don't see anywhere in the code where it says "add extra receptacles to make room for more circuits.' Nowhere does it say you must have at least five ft. of counter, so two receptacles are necessary.

As for staggering: not a requirement, might make sense. It's a design choice. You might find another arrangement better suited; it all depends on the layout of the kitchen and dining areas.

So put in a single split wired duplex on a 2 pole GFCI and you have your two required SABC's serving the counter.

Or if you want to spend less put in two GFCI receptacle's on two separate single pole breakers. Remember there must be 2 circuits minimum supplying the counter surfaces, but they can also have any other receptacle required to be on SABC's on the same circiuit.

I understand where you are coming from though, if you have less than four feet of counter (I did in college) you likely have appliances being used either on the table or in other rooms, or you just don't have much for portable kitchen appliances - just because.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

In your case, the code requires at least one "receptacle outlet" not one receptacle. And since the code also requires that 2 SABC's supply the counter top outlet, I'd say "code minimum" would require a split-wired duplex receptacle outlet.

Edit: Kwired types faster than me
wink.gif

renosteinke

You've got the point ....

Code requires, for the kitchen described, one outlet.

Code requires two SABC's for the kitchen. To 'serve countertop receptacles.'

What if the kitchen only requires one outlet? This seems to be a possibility the NEC did not forsee.

You cannot have an SABC without an outlet. So, your only solution is to have two outlets, one for each SABC. A duplex receptacle is two outlets. So, yes, you can split a duplex receptacle.

While he doesn't say so, I suspect the OP is addressing this same issue: a kitchen with very limited counter space. What if the kitchen has NO counters at all? I can show you many hotels where the 'kitchenettes' have no counters- unless you count the desk on the other side of the room.

Don't get me wrong; I appreciate good design as much as anyone. Article 90 clearly states that the NEC is not a design manual- yet it appears this restriction is ignored by the code panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.