Lighting Contactor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWH

A building currently has a timer controlling when their parking lot lights come on and they wish to have this changed to a "dusk to dawn" PC. The lights are currently fed from a 20 amp double pole breaker.

My plan is to install a magnetic contactor in place of the current Intermatic timer, have the load side go through the contactor and have a PC control the coil of the contactor.

My question is: can I provide power to the PC from one leg of the double pole breaker (to provide power to the PC) instead of running a completely seperate circuit to the PC?

iwire

Staff member
A building currently has a timer controlling when their parking lot lights come on and they wish to have this changed to a "dusk to dawn" PC. The lights are currently fed from a 20 amp double pole breaker.

My plan is to install a magnetic contactor in place of the current Intermatic timer, have the load side go through the contactor and have a PC control the coil of the contactor.

My question is: can I provide power to the PC from one leg of the double pole breaker (to provide power to the PC) instead of running a completely seperate circuit to the PC?

Yeah, assuming you are using a contactor with a 120 volt coil.

I might suggest leaving the clock in place and wire the PC and TC in series so that they could easily make the lighting photo cell ON, time clock OFF if they want to. (This is common for businesses, photo cell turns the lights on at dusk but the time clock turns them off at a fixed time each night)

For dusk to dawn operation just leave the time clock ON all the time.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Yes it is a 120 PC. Thanks all
I have to wonder why PC control is desired. PC's typically do not have 120V control output, and just the 120V interface would likely cost as much if not more than a stand-alone digital lighting controller...???

iwire

Staff member
I have to wonder why PC control is desired. PC's typically do not have 120V control output, and just the 120V interface would likely cost as much if not more than a stand-alone digital lighting controller...???

Ah, Photo Cell, not Personal Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.