Who approves these??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Does this have to approved by UL or other third party before it can be sold?
Do you see any issues with it? beside the little extension cord is being used permanently.
Apparently you install the male plug at a lower level, install the female plug at a higher level (behind the TV) use the piece of romex to connect the two together, and use the extension cord to povide power.
http://www.amazon.com/Datacomm-50-3...7078732&sr=8-1&keywords=panel+mounted+voltage

71QEW2nyIqL._AA1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
How is this a code violation? Romex is allowed to be fished in a wall. All the components are likely UL listed.

romex is allowed in the walls, but an extension cord is not allowed as permanent wiring. Is it???

besides, if I make something (what ever it may be) using UL listed parts does that make my unit a UL listed product?

I must admit, it is a good idea.

Last edited:

hmspe

Occupation
PE
...but an extension cord is not allowed as permanent wiring. Is it???

The extension cord would be in plain sight for its entire length and could be removed or replaced at any time without requiring tools or removing surfaces. I would not call the extension cord permanent wiring.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The extension cord would be in plain sight for its entire length and could be removed or replaced at any time without requiring tools or removing surfaces. I would not call the extension cord permanent wiring.

Permanent wiring has nothing to do with tools. The extension cord can not be used as permanent wiring. I am not taliking about concealed wiring.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
They do say this in their instructions

"The electrical parts in this kit are designed to be used
only as a kit and none of these electrical parts are
designed to be used individually.
 This product is not designed to be part of your home or a
commercial building?s electrical wiring system."

And again it is ETL listed.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
They do say this in their instructions

"The electrical parts in this kit are designed to be used
only as a kit and none of these electrical parts are
designed to be used individually.
 This product is not designed to be part of your home or a
commercial building?s electrical wiring system."

And again it is ETL listed.

where did you see the listing? I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Steelhead

Occupation
Industrial Maint/Journeyman
Did you notice from figure 3 from the first link that the black (hot) conductor is terminated incorrectly on the receptacle? I know this has nothing to do with the original post, just wanted to point it out.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the cord is on the outside then I would still call it a violation because extension cords are for temporary wiring only IMHO.

(John Denver for president).
Just unplug it when ever you unplug the TV, it is no more permanent than the TV cord (or anything you have plugged in) is.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
romex is allowed in the walls, but an extension cord is not allowed as permanent wiring. Is it???

besides, if I make something (what ever it may be) using UL listed parts does that make my unit a UL listed product?

I must admit, it is a good idea.

Just because some one put together a kit of parts does not mean the kit has to be UL listed as a kit. Even if it is partially assembled.

I think you should stop obsessing over the cord issue. This is a perfectly safe installation.

I see nothing in any code that would prohibit it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Just unplug it when ever you unplug the TV, it is no more permanent than the TV cord (or anything you have plugged in) is.

Roger

The question is will it get unplugged every time. I know someone will say "do you unplug your TV every time" and No I don't and nobody does.
Again, I think it is a good idea but just can't wrap my head around it. :?:? Because someone (including me) will ask "why not wire up individual bedrooms that way with extension cords". (even though we won't do it).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The question is will it get unplugged every time.
It wouldn't need to be every time just every now and then. I would instruct the home owner to unplug it when they test their GFCI's and we know they all do that. :rotflmao:

Roger

renosteinke

Yes, we discussed this exhaustively before; thank you Hv for the link.

Bottom line: either the power source or the structure needs to be movable for this to be "legal" to use. The product, for example, is a neat way to tie in a portable generator, or to supply power to a mobile display.

Status
Not open for further replies.