T8 741 lamp Life Expectancy on 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Had a gentleman from town ask me how long a T8 would last. Conditions are Parking Deck. Underneath T8 Electronic 4 foot 2 lamp @ 120 volts. I guess and said 1000 hours. But he disagreed. And explained I never really considered that so, Now Im looking it up. They Retrofitted parking deck a year and half ago. Metal halide life I believe are way more in lasting. Any comments. Or links. I seen links on 3 hrs testing

Not 24/7 Exterior test, In which, This case is. This question is for lamp not ballast.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Had a gentleman from town ask me how long a T8 would last. Conditions are Parking Deck. Underneath T8 Electronic 4 foot 2 lamp @ 120 volts. I guess and said 1000 hours. But he disagreed. And explained I never really considered that so, Now Im looking it up. They Retrofitted parking deck a year and half ago. Metal halide life I believe are way more in lasting. Any comments. Or links. I seen links on 3 hrs testing

Not 24/7 Exterior test, In which, This case is. This question is for lamp not ballast.

Try about 20,000 hours. Best link is the manufacturer's website. Unless really cold or hot temperatures are an issue, the life should be at least marginally longer in hours with continuous duty rather than cycling.

hurk27

As Golddigger pointed out, lights not cycled can last way longer then the expected manufacture stated life, this goes for all lamps, as inrush and thermal shock are no longer a problem with aging the lamp, I have heard of T-8's lasting 3-5 years never being turned off, Thats 26280 hours up to 43800 hours, I have a truck shop with T-5 54 watt HO's that have been continued service for over 7 years and only had 3 lamps go out at about the 4 year point, on the other hand the lights they do turn off on a daily bases have lasted about the same to a little less which is allot less hours.

One problem with fluorescent types of lamps that use phosphorus coatings for luminance is even though they last longer they will loose luminance over time as the coating decays just like the older CRT type televisions did. they have gotten much better then the older fluorescents with using the special rare earth elements we now use in them, but the effect is still there.

also allot will depend on how clean the supply is, and the temperature extremes they will have to endure.

Most electrical and electronic load will have this same effect as thermal and inrush shock can shorten the life of even computers, incandescent lamps are subject to inrush current and we see this as most filament type lamps will blow right when we switch them on when the filament is cold and its resistance is low.

if you are going to be on your computer even as little as an hour in the morning then a few hours after work then its best to just boot it in the morning then shut it down when you go to bed or just maybe reboot it once a day but never shut it down, this keeps the motherboard and all the other parts at a more constant temp which goes a long way to helping them last, of course this also adds to your electric bill so in that case maybe just let it go into standby then reboot it once a day to refresh the memory or use a tool to clean out the mem of TSRs left over from programs no longer running.

About the only thing this wouldn't apply to is equipment that will have moving parts such as motors as putting hours on moving parts tends to add wear to them.

Also certain TV's and Monitors that use phosphorus screens such as CRT's, Plasmas, and DLP type technology can also suffer as the phosphorus coatings tend to decay over time as the electron gun beam hits them which is why a blank screen saver is best for standby instead of a moving image for these types of displays, LCD, LED, and TFT type of displays don't have this problem.

Last edited:

Electric-Light

In actual application, they last "longer" in multiple lamp fixtures. The quoted lifetime is based on time until half the lamps fail.

In single lamp fixtures, if you let half the fixtures go out, the dark spots become unacceptable. When lamp outage is spread evenly in multi-lamp fixtures, it simply results in reduced output.

I would say 35,000 hour or four years until half the lamps are dead.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dont think they will last over 1 .5 years in a unstable enviroment. Hot cold and 24/7 Wish I kept track of it. And I dont believe they test like this in labs.

I will check things like that in future. Thanks for reply.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I dont think they will last over 1 .5 years in a unstable enviroment. Hot cold and 24/7 Wish I kept track of it. And I dont believe they test like this in labs.

I will check things like that in future. Thanks for reply.

They are likely to last longer through cold conditions when running and keeping warm than when trying to start while cold.

TNBaer

I tend to agree with ElectricLight on this one. Yeah, some of the lamps will fail early. But life expentency is based on when half fail. You'll have some failures within the first year, sure. But you'll also have lamps that go on to five years. In lighting, life is an average.

Status
Not open for further replies.