Kentucky electrical inspectors checking for licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Young

I work for an Electrical Contractor in Louisville Kentucky and there has been a State Electrical Inspector who has come to my job and a couple of other projects that my company is working on to make sure we had a licensed electrician on site. I am wondering if he is specifically targeting us or is he checking everybody? He says that he is but I haven't heard about anyone else. Has anyone else on here from my area had this happen?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I work for an Electrical Contractor in Louisville Kentucky and there has been a State Electrical Inspector who has come to my job and a couple of other projects that my company is working on to make sure we had a licensed electrician on site. I am wondering if he is specifically targeting us or is he checking everybody? He says that he is but I haven't heard about anyone else. Has anyone else on here from my area had this happen?

Is your employer from out of the area? It is not unheard of for local contractors to sic the building department on out of the area companies.

brian john

I agree with Iwire. What are you worried about?

Unless he is letting other contractors slide. Years ago there was an inspector here that was busting on ECs doing work at a particular University, his brother was the universities "EC" of choice (had been doing the work there on a daily basis). Other EC's that bid work and beat the brother had a very hard time getting stuff passed.

But if he and you are following the letter of the law then he is doing you a favor.

kwired

Electron manager
Since it is beginning of the year, perhaps you need to have a new license to replace one that expired Dec 31?

Some inspectors around here do checks after a new licensing period begins to catch anyone that did not renew their licenses.

stew

IMHO license checks are a good thing! Helps to keep unsafe work from being done by unqualified ,unlicensed and illegally residing workers. The underground industry is working very hard to kill the legitimate tradesmen!!

dhalleron

Since it is beginning of the year, perhaps you need to have a new license to replace one that expired Dec 31?

Some inspectors around here do checks after a new licensing period begins to catch anyone that did not renew their licenses.

Kentucky licenses expire in your birth month.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Unless he is letting other contractors slide. Years ago there was an inspector here that was busting on ECs doing work at a particular University, his brother was the universities "EC" of choice (had been doing the work there on a daily basis). Other EC's that bid work and beat the brother had a very hard time getting stuff passed.

But if he and you are following the letter of the law then he is doing you a favor.

I've been there, we had a two part job where another contractor (local) was installing a transformer and panel to power our car chargers that we were installing. The owner did not want us to start work until the other contractor got their final. Unbeknownst to the inspector, I was hanging out nearby watching the inspection. He told the other contractor he wanted to look at the prints, then just signed off on it without looking at the work. I had seen a couple of violations without even opening the covers. (Missing ko plug was one glaring violation) Later on when it came my turn, he scrutinized every part of the job, and the only thing he could get me on was the chargers were exactly one inch too high. The problem was, a parking deck guard cable that would not allow me to mount the charger any lower, so I had to build out a strut rack and mount the chargers in front of the cables to satisfy the inspector.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have worked in areas that check for licenses and ratios regularly and I am all for it, as others have pointed out, if you are in compliance it is actually doing you and your boss a favor.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.