Copper to nickel connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott West

I'm working on a project that will require connecting copper and nickel bus bars to one another. Are there any special considerations for joining these dissimilar metals or can they simply be bolted together? Thanks

Phil Corso

Scott...

The simple answer is yes! It may be as simple as the addition of Belleville washers!. Now the caveat!

There are three materials involved; the two conductors and the connection bolt(s). Another factor is ambient tepperature and atmosphere; dry, humid, marine, etc!

I suggest you contact an Electrical Connections manufacturer/supplier for (litigation-avoidence) advice!

Regards, Phil Corso

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Scott...

The simple answer is yes! It may be as simple as the addition of Belleville washers!. Now the caveat!

There are three materials involved; the two conductors and the connection bolt(s). Another factor is ambient tepperature and atmosphere; dry, humid, marine, etc!

I suggest you contact an Electrical Connections manufacturer/supplier for (litigation-avoidence) advice!

Regards, Phil Corso

I would not recommend Belleville washers unless told to do so by the manufacturer.

Many bus bars are nickel plated. Some are mistaken as being cadmium plated, but cadmium is a toxic metal.

Copper has an anodic index of -.35 and nickel -.30 making them very suitable (.05v difference) for each other. By comparison, AL runs -.94v, which is quite a difference.

I can't say for sure, but it's likely all you have to do is bolt them together. You may or may not want to use some sort of grease to keep moisture out, but there are pros and cons of doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.