transformer disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
am I required by code (2008) to install a disconnect switch on the load side of a step down transformer? the transformer feeds a transfer switch which is approximately 3 ft from the transformer which in turn is chase nippled to a distribution panel. Inspector says no- engineer says its required-
Help!!

raider1

Staff member
The transformer secondary conductors must be protected by an overcurrent device in accordance with on of the rules in 240.21(C).

Chris

dana1028

am I required by code (2008) to install a disconnect switch on the load side of a step down transformer? the transformer feeds a transfer switch which is approximately 3 ft from the transformer which in turn is chase nippled to a distribution panel. Inspector says no- engineer says its required-
Help!!

The 2011 NEC has a change requiring a disco at the transformer [within sight?...don't have my book with me]...but this is not required in 2008....I believe that is what you are asking.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The 2011 NEC has a change requiring a disco at the transformer [within sight?...don't have my book with me]...but this is not required in 2008....I believe that is what you are asking.

I don't believe that is what he is asking. The 2011 requirement for disconnect means would have to be on the primary to disconnect the transformer. He is asking about the secondary side.

Status
Not open for further replies.