Motor Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Sorry, been busy.

I only got readings on 2 leads, I forget which. Got 2.1 ohms. All other readings blank. I took motor to a shop. Capacitor was shot, needed a new bearing & an internal lead was broken from back of terminal board. I had no way to remove terminal board without disassembling motor. Board is larger than wiring box opening.

I will put motor back in Wed.

I am now looking at the motor. For sure, we only have 4 terminals. No jumper bars as on hurk 27's photo. BTW hurk, thanks for the chart. I will print that on some index cards & have them handy for future cases.

Low is: T1....Line 1 T2....Red, Orange T3....Open T4....Blk, Wht, Line 2

High is: T1....Line 1 T2....Open T3....Wht, Red, Orange T4....Blk, Line 2

Rotation CCW, Swap red & black to reverse

Thanks again for all the help. Does anyone know a good book on motors? I have never worked that much with them. I have connected a lot & changed leads for voltage. I studied them a little in apprenticeship class but never worked with anyone servicing them. I need a bit more knowledge to "carry around".

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am now looking at the motor. For sure, we only have 4 terminals. No jumper bars as on hurk 27's photo. BTW hurk, thanks for the chart. I will print that on some index cards & have them handy for future cases.

Low is: T1....Line 1 T2....Red, Orange T3....Open T4....Blk, Wht, Line 2

High is: T1....Line 1 T2....Open T3....Wht, Red, Orange T4....Blk, Line 2

Rotation CCW, Swap red & black to reverse
You do have six leads it is just that they are configured on the back of the board instead of the front like Hurk's photo.

Thanks again for all the help. Does anyone know a good book on motors? I have never worked that much with them. I have connected a lot & changed leads for voltage. I studied them a little in apprenticeship class but never worked with anyone servicing them. I need a bit more knowledge to "carry around".
If you want books with real pages that you can touch I would check out your local library. There is some good info in the "American Electricians Handbook" which is usually found in most libraries and e-bay if you want to purchase a copy of your own.

Most of the motor manufactures (AO Smith, Baldore, Franklin et. al.) have tutorials on their web sites. I had some pages bookmarked but I can't find them to post a link. (I share a computer with my two teenage daughters. I think one or both of them messed with my deal.)

If I were you the thing I would do, more than anything, is make a friend at the motor shop you took you your motor to and talk to him. Reading about motors will make a lot more sense after some conversation with someone who knows about them.

kwired

Electron manager
Without photos of the terminal board and the diagram for that motor its hard to armchair wire it, we can get close with knowing the basics of a capacitor start motor but some things very from manufacture to manufacture and can make the wiring confusing, it is best for you to understand the basics of a capacitor start motor so in the future you can judge by what you have as what you need to do.

here is the NEMA color standard for capacitor start motors with dual voltage and dual rotation:
T1 Blue Main run winding
T2 White other side of above
T3 Orange Aux run winding
T4 Yellow Other side of Aux
T5 Black Start winding circuit with cap and switch inline
T8 Red other side of start circuit

wiring-cap-start-motor_zps869bbc47.jpg

Here is a diagram that may help with what you have remember depending upon the manufacture as to which conductors they bring out to the terminal board, apply the above colors to it and it might make sense.

also to reverse the rotation is just a matter of reversing T5 and T8 which is the start winding circuit.
you listed colors for the overload leads but did not show how the overload gets connected in the schematics:angel::)

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You do have six leads it is just that they are configured on the back of the board instead of the front like Hurk's photo.

If you want books with real pages that you can touch I would check out your local library. There is some good info in the "American Electricians Handbook" which is usually found in most libraries and e-bay if you want to purchase a copy of your own.

Most of the motor manufactures (AO Smith, Baldore, Franklin et. al.) have tutorials on their web sites. I had some pages bookmarked but I can't find them to post a link. (I share a computer with my two teenage daughters. I think one or both of them messed with my deal.)

If I were you the thing I would do, more than anything, is make a friend at the motor shop you took you your motor to and talk to him. Reading about motors will make a lot more sense after some conversation with someone who knows about them.

I'd love to do that & watch him work on something. He doesn't seem like he'd want to do that. He's friendly enough & showed me a few related things but didn't offer more. Probably values his space & privacy in the shop.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'd love to do that & watch him work on something. He doesn't seem like he'd want to do that. He's friendly enough & showed me a few related things but didn't offer more. Probably values his space & privacy in the shop.
Well plan a trip out here and meet our shop's motor guru. He is friendly as can be if you bring him a cookie.

hurk27

you listed colors for the overload leads but did not show how the overload gets connected in the schematics:angel::)

There are no NEMA assigned colors for overloads, generally its up to the manufacture of the overload as I have seen both leads red, black and or blue going to overloads on single phase motors.

Overloads are almost always put in series with L-1 when and if they are installed by the motor manufacture.

In case you were referring to the P-1 and P-2 colors in the list, these are the conductors to and from the capacitor, while P-1 is not assigned by Nema in most cases it will be brown with a white stripe, P-2 is always brown although I have seen other colors over the years.

Also if you notice in the list there's no T-6 or T-7, these two conductors are assigned to the tie between the two start winding coils and are never brought out of the motor, we would never access these unless we are re-winding a motor, some older motor designs did use them for dual voltage purpose, then the start winding could be series or paralleled depending on which voltage then would just parallel the run windings in both voltages but most now just parallel the start winding with the main run winding and use the other run winding in series with both the start winding and the aux run winding to allow the start circuit to remain at the lower voltage when the motor is configured for the higher voltage, in this case 120 volts.

Also the diagrams above are in general as there are a couple ways to configure the windings and get the same result but it is a good reference for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.