Innerducts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger86

There is one existing 4" PVC conduit, one end terminates at a manhole and the other end sticks up into the building. Currently the 4" PVC conduit has Fiber and Communications cables.
The dilemma: The owner wants to pull a 120V circuit (about 2 Amps) thru the same 4" conduit. This would be done using MC type cable.
Question: Can innerducts be pulled in to the 4" PVC to separate everything and still be legal within Code? Since MC type cable already has it's own corrugated steel, would the MC cable still need its own innerduct?
To me this really is not a good idea and I would just keep everything separated in its own conduit but given the existing installation we are trying to see if this can be done and stay within code... I appreciate any comments. Thanks !!!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is one existing 4" PVC conduit, one end terminates at a manhole and the other end sticks up into the building. Currently the 4" PVC conduit has Fiber and Communications cables.
The dilemma: The owner wants to pull a 120V circuit (about 2 Amps) thru the same 4" conduit. This would be done using MC type cable.
Question: Can innerducts be pulled in to the 4" PVC to separate everything and still be legal within Code? Since MC type cable already has it's own corrugated steel, would the MC cable still need its own innerduct?
To me this really is not a good idea and I would just keep everything separated in its own conduit but given the existing installation we are trying to see if this can be done and stay within code... I appreciate any comments. Thanks !!!

I would not be bothered by this at all.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Since MC cable is a chapter 3 wiring method, I also believe it would be code compliant to pull it in with the communication cables.

Ranger86

Do you think that the innerducts would be necessary?
Either way, all of the fiber and comm cables would need to be pulled out in order to pull in the MC cable..

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Most of the exceptions for mixing power with communications cable allow them to mix if one or the other is in: a raceway or in metal sheathed,
metal-clad, nonmetallic-sheathed, Type AC, or Type UF cables, or (2) all of the conductors of communications circuits are encased in raceway. Not sure if innerduct counts as a raceway though, and you don't really have any comm conductors since they are fiber.

But there is also generally this second exception: Where the communications wires and cables are permanently separated from the conductors of
electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits by a continuous and firmly fixed nonconductor, such as porcelain tubes or flexible tubing, in addition to the insulation on the wire.

I think the innerduct would meet this second exception requirement, which means you could probably pull raw conductors through the 4" raceway.

Status
Not open for further replies.