Some Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

fillmorr

It has been late 2008 since that I have been in feild working for an eletrical contracter due to knee injury and a car accident. I am wanting to re-enter the field as an estimater in traning but just unsure on how to go about doing so.I also have considered going back to complete my apprentiship with working more part time hours. Now my background is as follows- I have completed 2yrs of apprentiship class work with roughly 2000 hrs of OJT. I also was a few months shy of completing year three of class work which was intrupted by my car accident. Along with this I also have a two year tecnical certificate in Building Maintence Trades. Now also I do have a bum leg from my accident with surgical plates on my pelvis and in my foot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If employers fear aggravating your prior injury on their WC insurance, try jumping up & down and swearing you would drag yourself to the nearest public gutter, before calling 911, to collect the much more lucrative disability insurance, rather than settle for paltry workers comp.

If you still strike out, it probably less trouble to go Owner/Operator with your own contractors license & clients.

Last edited:

fillmorr

If employers fear aggravating your prior injury on their WC insurance, try jumping up & down and swearing you would drag yourself to the nearest public gutter, before calling 911, to collect the much more lucrative disability insurance, rather than settle for paltry workers comp.

If you still strike out, it probably less trouble to go Owner/Operator with your own contractors license & clients.

I have been trying to convince people but it just seems to not get me anywere. I know it can be done I worked with a guy who came back into the field after 2yrs of recovering from a broken back. I just want to work im tired of sitting around and my financial situation dosent afford me to go into buissness for myself.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Your State's Employment Development Department (EDD) provides professional guidance toward programs / training / & participating employers that hire employees with disabilities.

EDD channels may show construction-trade employers accommodating disabilities in specific procurement, sales, & financial positions they need.

Employers accommodate talent with a track record; longevity with company names, not just Union memberships.

If not a shop rocket, or trade license, being jerked around between contractors, and unemployment claims destroys any chance of hiring from a resume.

If not hired for lack of resume, or prejudice to your disability, with no license in the trades, your accident forces a move in paradigm paralysis. Go with it.

brian john

You might consider looking at what a community college offers, in the way of courses that would get you an AS.

I would knock on doors, medium size to large firms always need office staff, drivers and the such start in the office or warehouse and work your way up.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I second Brian's suggestion, to do coursework at a Comm College directed at computer skilles necessary for electrical design, with a focus on AutoCad. I see engineering houses starting to get busy, and there's always a need for production of designs by somebody with electrical experience.
Your physical condition suggests you'd be better served by a desk job. That's something you could grow old in.
John M

Status
Not open for further replies.