NEC Art 230.2 mulitple services

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW98

A building was originally constructed as a multi-tenant building with several services. A single client has gradually acquired all the spaces for a mission critical call center. The current project is to replace an existing 208/120Y service with a 480/277Y service to mirror an existing 480/277Y service for a UPS system. From the existing transformer, there are two existing services. One, a single mcb panel which has very little load will be fed from another existing panel. the other is a 4-stack meter base which will be replaced by a single meter and 480/277Y panel. This new panel will feed transformers for the existing 208/120Y panels.

Since building already has several services (at least 7 for the part I'm involved with) due to its original construction, and we are only replacing existing services (actually reducing 5 metered services to two) with new of a different voltage. and since this is a call center, is this allowable under 230.2(A)(6) or (B)(1)? I'm trying to make my case with the plan reviewer. Looking for others feedback or opinions who might have encountered similar situations.

Thanks as always for your help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Are there really 7 services or 7 meters. The service would be the number of overhead and/or underground drops to the building not the number of meters

DW98

reply to Dennis

reply to Dennis

There are three separate transformers. One is the 120/208V, the others are two 277/480V. This project is to replace the 208V services with one to mirror one of the 277/480V services for dual feed IT rack equipment. There is a primary loop around the site that feeds other transformers also.

DW98

second reply

second reply

there are four undergrounds to the building. one from each 277/480 xfmr. one to a 600A mcb panel and one to a meter center from the 208V xfmr.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Might be a hard sell on (A)(6) or (B)(1).
IMO, (B)(2) or, of course (C)(3) maybe.

RB1

The reference to the primary loop has peaked my curiosity. It is possible the building doesn't have a service at all. Who owns the primary loop?

DW98

the utility still owns the primary loop. there are several transformers on the site that feed different meters on a few different building, like a small business park

Status
Not open for further replies.