Retro fan brace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you know of a retro-fit ceiling fan brace/box that adjusts shorter than to fit between 16" on center?

I have found late 1800, early 1900's homes often have joist 16" o.c. but since the beams are often 2"-3 1/2" wide, standard retrofit fan braces are too lengthy.

Ive heard you can cut them to length

Well, not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. To be honest, I have removed one end, cut the brace and replaced the end. That, of course, violated the UL listing of the product.

I'm not thrilled about the fact that the manufactured ends (I've encountered) seem to be mechanically pressed/crimped and I have to fight to remove them and (not having a mechanical press) no way to "properly" re-install them.

I have unthreaded the unit completely and cut the threaded rod, but (I can't remember why) that didn't work for me either. (I think it had to do with having to cut the shaft itself shorter and that the threaded rod and receiving threads were mechanically pressed/crimped into place.)

So, sarcasm aside, anyone know of a product I'm looking for?

MikeS

In remodel situations where the cavity is shorter than 14.5". We have cut the arm & the threaded rod too, but more often than not we opt to set the fan a little off center (of course after discussing with the customer) and using a saddle or half saddle box.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
That mechanical press doesn't play any roll in the installation. Once the unit is installed it has pressure on both ends so the ends will not come out.

Just cut the tube end off, re insert the end piece, if you want use a sharp punch and a hammer on (4) sides of the tube to secure the end piece next cut the threaded piece to length and install your brace.

Sometimes violating UL listing is not a big deal. It just comes from your experience whether violating a UL listing is a hazard. But yes technically you have modified a product.

kwired

Electron manager
That mechanical press doesn't play any roll in the installation. Once the unit is installed it has pressure on both ends so the ends will not come out.

Just cut the tube end off, re insert the end piece, if you want use a sharp punch and a hammer on (4) sides of the tube to secure the end piece next cut the threaded piece to length and install your brace.

Sometimes violating UL listing is not a big deal. It just comes from your experience whether violating a UL listing is a hazard. But yes technically you have modified a product.

And your other options (including your own fabrication) are not necessarily listed either. Does anything require a listed product to be used for supporting a fan? I don't think so. If an outlet box supports a fan it must be listed, but the fan is not necessarily required to be supported solely by an outlet box.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

i've cut them to legth before myself. or like posted above, get up in the attic and drop in a block. you have to do whats necessary. somebody actually going to check to see if it's been cut to length?

Article 90.1

How far is the edge of the box from the nearest rafter?

Can you cut a 2"x4" 6" long and slide it in to sister the existing rafter. Screw together with your impact driver then use a slider box for fans or equivalent and you're done.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Is there no attic? Or don't you want to go in the attic, because a 2x4 works great

I agree with cowboy.

If there is attic access then the best option is 2x4 cross with the fan bracket screwed to the 2x4.

Is there no attic? Or don't you want to go in the attic, because a 2x4 works great

Scenario I'm refering to is usually 1st or 2nd floor ceiling with living space above. I live in a little village (and I'm it's idiot!!) with alot of 2 and 3 story homes built between 1860 and 1910. Balloon framed, lathe and plaster, etc. I prefer to make as few holes in peoples finished surfaces as possible. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

As far as my OP is concerned...I take it everyones answer is NO.

MikeS

Scenario I'm refering to is usually 1st or 2nd floor ceiling with living space above. I live in a little village (and I'm it's idiot!!) with alot of 2 and 3 story homes built between 1860 and 1910. Balloon framed, lathe and plaster, etc. I prefer to make as few holes in peoples finished surfaces as possible. Sometimes it's unavoidable.

As far as my OP is concerned...I take it everyones answer is NO.

Yes, that would be No. :D

As I mentioned before, IMO it is ok to modify the brace.

I absolutely agree that if done properly, (and I've done it many times), shortening the length of the brace in the field in no way makes the install unsafe in any manner.

I'm just always happy to find a product, tool, or method that makes any job quicker, easier, more professional, more profitable, or any combination of those things.

GUNNING

Cross brace.

Cross brace.

Throw a 2x4 over the 2x2 or 1x3 cross bracing the plaster lathe or drywall board is nailed onto. It is considered "structure" since this is not modern southern building code stuff. Or attatch the fan box to one of the cross braces. Maybe you are seeing a cross brace and not a joist?

Status
Not open for further replies.