article 511 more strict for minor repairs than major?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmike

I would have assumed a garage classified as a "minor repair garage" would be less strict than a "major repair garage". Lets consider 2 senarios where there is an un-ventilated pit in the garage and there is no gases such as hydrogen and there is no dispensing or transferring of flamable liquids (diesel repair facility) with a flash point below 100 degree F.

If in a Minor Repair Garage, the pit area would be a class 1 Div 2 area. This is because 511.3(D) says D.1, D.2, and D.3 are applicable.

However, if the garage is a Major Repair Garage, the pit area would be unclassified. This is because 511.3(C) says C.1, C.2, C.3, are only applicable if the transfer of the flammable fluids / gasses. Since no flammable fluids or gasses, don't need to follow the pit classification area.

Am I missing something here?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I would have assumed a garage classified as a "minor repair garage" would be less strict than a "major repair garage".
Yes, that would make sense.

If in a Minor Repair Garage, the pit area would be a class 1 Div 2 area. This is because 511.3(D) says D.1, D.2, and D.3 are applicable.

However, if the garage is a Major Repair Garage, the pit area would be unclassified. This is because 511.3(C) says C.1, C.2, C.3, are only applicable if the transfer of the flammable fluids / gasses. Since no flammable fluids or gasses, don't need to follow the pit classification area.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, you are missing that if "C" doesn't apply, then "D" does apply. So a major repair garage would still have to comply with "D" even if they don't transfer flammable fluids.

mjmike

I think you need to re-read the senarios. it is an example of each minor and major. Lets say major applies based on the definition per 511.2. 511.2.C is applicable, but there is no class 1 liquids hence 511.C.1, 2, and 3 (the pit) are not applicable; the pit area is not hazardous.

Now lets say it is a minor repair per the definition and no class 1 liquids. per 511.D, D1, D2, and D3 are applicable. D3 is the pit and it is a hazardous area.

If the facility is classified as Major, then the only applicable section is 500.11.C; nothing would refer to 500.11.D. Similarly, if minor, nothing would refer to 500.11.C. At lease this is my interpretation.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe you are either going to have dispensing (paragraph B), transfer (paragraph C), or neither (paragraph D).

Dispensing or transfer determines if you have a major or minor repair facility.

I don't think you can have a major repair facility that doesn't involve ther transfer of flammable liquids.

Or maybe it's best to state it like this: If you have a facility that meets the definition of a major repair facility, they you have to assume that flammable fluids will be transfered.

I'm not 100% sure that's right, but it makes more sense than having a major facility that is unclassified when a minor facility has to be classified.

On another note, I'm still trying to figure out if any of 511 applies to a facility that services only diesel vehicles. 511.1 seems to say no. However, it seems like 511.12 and 511.16 would still apply.

mjmike

I agree. The scope of Article 511 (511.1) is for facilities in which volitale flammable liquids are used. Because of the flash point of diesel fuel, it is a combustible liquid. Henc, 511 may not be applicable to a repair facility for diesel fuel.

I agree that if classified as a Major repair facility, there needs to be the assumption there will be draining of the fuel tank. Therefore, (C) would be applicable. However, since diesel is not a class 1 liquid, if indeed 511 is applicable, then neither A, B, C, or D would be applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.